alan wood custom wood lore

hobo

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2005
sheffield uk
hello i have a alan wood custom wood lore was made during some sort of dispute :eek: was changed in following ways: stainless rwl-34 rockwell c61 hand rubbed flats ground and polished cutting bevel standard birds eye maple stainless fittings and his logo instead of mears one ...how does this differ from the mears one anyone any experince of the blade steel...sharpening etc..is it worth as much as the stamped mears ones seems it could have been a good investment or not!!

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
AFAIK Alan Wood was a well established knife maker long before Mr Mears came along. It sounds like you've an Alan Wood knife, nothing to do with Ray Mears at all. He makes a bushcrafter along with various other styles and types. He only made the woodlore knife with the RM logo for direct sale on RM's site though.

Alan Wood's knives are well respected on their own and he has a long waiting list. I don't think he has a website but I have a catlogue at work. You might be better having a look at British Blades.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
hobo said:
hello i have a alan wood custom wood lore was made during some sort of dispute :eek: was changed in following ways: stainless rwl-34 rockwell c61 hand rubbed flats ground and polished cutting bevel standard birds eye maple stainless fittings and his logo instead of mears one ...how does this differ from the mears one anyone any experince of the blade steel...sharpening etc..is it worth as much as the stamped mears ones seems it could have been a good investment or not!!

No,

In fact, it is a complete worthless knife. But I'll help you out, PM sent. ;)

More seriously - very interesting, I do not know of any other Woodlore model in Stainless. Do you have pictures? And what kind of dispute are you talking about? I think that you might have quite a collectible knife there.

-Emile

hobo

Tenderfoot
Jun 9, 2005
sheffield uk
it was ordered as a wood lore but there was a dispute about prices with the mears lot but dont quote me :confused: alan sent a letter as it was next in line to be made and suggested the changes in loo of becoming a mears knife and didnt know how long it could take...about 2 years old and identical to the wood lore from mears an co apart from the steel fittings and the logo

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
scanker, did Alan Wood design the woodlore then? i was under the impression Ray Mears spent some time designing it. I wouldn't be surprised if the knives he made before being contacted by Mears were similar to the woodlore knife, but i think you are saying that they looked or were the same design. I find this surprising! maybe i am confused by the words 'custom woodlore'.

cheers
-ian

hobo your knife sounds like a valuable ebay item :D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm certainly no expert, as I said, it would be better to ask the question on BB. I do believe RM designed the woodlore knife, but a knife of that shape, full exposed tang, 01 tool steel, two rivets and a lanyard hole pretty much describes any bushcraft knife.

AW does make and sell a bushcrafter along with many others but the woodlore was only available through RM AFAIK. The provenance added might tell a different story but I got the initial impression from the different steel etc it wasn't a woodlore at all, but an AW bushcrafter or custom.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Ray designed the woodlore knife but I would expect like anyone else he'd listen to the makers advice

I've seen a few knives which have the same profile as the woodlore but use different steels/handle slabs. These aren't really woodlores as it's not the same specification. They are a custom Alan wood knife inspored by the woodlore. Since it's not a woodlore knife they don't take a cut so you'll get a more knife for your money

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd be interested in seeing pics. Can you host them at photobucket or post them in the gallery?

I'm not sure, but I think asking for offers isn't allowed here.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
Andy said:
Ray designed the woodlore knife but I would expect like anyone else he'd listen to the makers advice

I've seen a few knives which have the same profile as the woodlore but use different steels/handle slabs. These aren't really woodlores as it's not the same specification. They are a custom Alan wood knife inspored by the woodlore. Since it's not a woodlore knife they don't take a cut so you'll get a more knife for your money

I have to agree with Andy here.. many knives by many makers copy the woodlore style and profile, I have knives by AW that are identical in style and profile, however they are not 'Woodlores'.. genuine woodlores are the ones stamped with the Ray Mears logo, either from AW or Wilkinsonsword.

The knife in question here looks to be a stainless AW bushcraft knife in the style of a woodlore.. A nice piece by the sound of things and well worth the asking price..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE