Ajungilak sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(Dont ask me to pronnounce that)

Sorting through my kit. I for one have a great dislike of sleeping bags.

But I want one for my car kit.

I checked my car kit and I indeed put a bag in, a Snugpak softie Merlin. (Im not getting rid of that)

So I am wondering if I should bother keeping this bag.

its a Kompakt Ultra Twin (No idea the tempreture range)

Anyone know anything about it?

(The other excess bag I own is a Phoenix mountain bag...Ill keep that, -I may need it one day)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I had a polar bag for my military service in Norway, the quality is excellent, nothing against Snugpak, the bag is premiership to if your lucky championship bag, if I had a choice the snugpak would be the one to go!

TriggerRover

Jun 17, 2018
Lancashire
I've got two, a kompact and a kompact winter. They're good kit. I was told 'twin' ment that the zips on the other side, so two could be zipped together to form a double!

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Ajungilak, pronounced round about "Ayoongheelack", was together with British made Snugpak sleeping bags, Savotta and Carinthia stuff the best European brand for sleeping bags with plastic filling.
I think in the eighties they made the best sleeping bags, but they became pretty expensive and later moved with the production to China.
But the stuff is still very good, by the way.

The brand was bought a couple of years ago by Mammut.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dunno about thar particular model but I have a Tyin Winter bag they made, not the lightest bag but I've slept in a hole in the rocks well into the minuses quite comfortably.
Good bit of kit.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The old Ajungilak Tyn Winter was develloped for the norvegian army.

Different to other NATO armies they decided to choose the option to connect two sleeping bags of two men in very cold conditions because that could be life saving in their winter nights.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have noidea of the tempreture range of mine.

It fits in a side pouch of my bergan, that is its size

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you get out the exact weight and length of it you can look up a currently offered Ajungilak sleeping bag and the recommended temperature range should have been similar for the NEW product.

If the bag should be pretty old, used a lot and have been stored compressed in the compression bag it lost a bit of its ability to hold back the body warmth.

Even expensive sleeping bags with plastic filling age over the years. That's why used army sleeping bags can be recommended for use with boat and car but not for hiking and trekking. They keep their weight but they loose their ability to hold the body warmth. That's the reason why the army sells the stuff after a few years even if they still look good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE