Aims and Objectives

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Assignment has asked me for some.

So, what is the difference between Aims an Objectives?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The objective of this essay is to demonstrate a knowledge of how to light a fire.

I aim to achieve that by describing how to gather tinder, and use a flint and steel.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Your aim is to be an Archaeologist. To achieve that your objective has to be obtaining your degree.

The Objective is a specific result, generally within a specific timeframe, or a basic component of the wider plan. The Aim is the overall purpose of the Objective/s.
The objective is 'fact'; something that must be done to fulfill the aim.

The Objective is to take out a bridge and deny the enemy the use of it. The Aim is to win the war.

M

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I kind of figure the aim is the direction you want to go and the objectives are the steps you need to take to get there.

ish.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
"Aims are statements of intent. They are usually written in broad terms. They set out what you hope to achieve at the end of the project.
Objectives, on the other hand, should be specific statements that define measurable outcomes, e.g. what steps will be taken to achieve the desired outcome."

It's all a bit vague, really, ie getting a job as an archaeologist is just as measurable as getting an archaeology degree.

If you aim to become a professional - that is suitably vague, while getting a degree, one route, is more specific.

I do like this from TeeDee: "Aim is what you take to hit the Objective."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, but to be an 'Archaeologist' isn't dependent on having a job, iimmc. Indeed most archaeology graduates don't work in the industry at all.

M

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The Objective is to take out a bridge and deny the enemy the use of it. The Aim is to win the war.

The Aim is to take out a bridge and deny the enemy the use of it. The Objective is to win the war.

M

I've got a feeling due to semantics the two terms are interchangeable are they not?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Pretty much :D

TD…..no, that's at the heart of Tengu's question.

M

No , I meant from your example - but I'm not the sharpest potato peeler in the drawer - just seemed to me your example , the two could be used equally. I understand Tengu is looking for 'More'.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think this is pretty much sorted, thank you every one.

(What is a `job?` No one will tell me.)

(I know what a `jobby` is, incidentaly.)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No , I meant from your example - but I'm not the sharpest potato peeler in the drawer - just seemed to me your example , the two could be used equally. I understand Tengu is looking for 'More'.

Ah, I ought to have been clearer then :eek:

The objective is what you are working on, the active 'chore', the matter at hand. The aim is a wider, or further ahead, concept.

It's the blooming English language again. Aim is both the action of targeting as well as a final intention.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
One very basic definition of a job, for many people, is something you have to do to earn the price of your daily bread when you'd much rather be doing something else but can't make a living from it.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Oddly, I would say that being an archaeologist is not necessarily the same as being employed as one. By now surely dirt should have been between the fingernails and a trowelling action developed? Then you are an archaeologist be one never so humble. The more you do it of course the nearer you are to being employed as one. Friend of mine was an extremely keen digger and so useful on excavations that he was invited to join teams excavating abroad and all over this country. Retired from a University appointment a few years ago and to this day I am not sure if he ever took a degree and I have never liked to ask. I know of at least one experimental archaeologist who came into it through his practical skills but he has now a doctorate.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the degree bit Boatman. That was/is Tengu's intent.

The digging bit ? no, you're spot on. Many of the best 'archaeologists' are amateurs :)

M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, but that was so long ago that no one had time to become a professional.

Im not overtly keen on digging anyway, I much prefer museum work and experimental archaeology.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE