Aging Digital Cameras- becoming more power hungry with time?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
This may seem a strange question, but does anyone know whether it is true that electronic devices slowly become more power hungry as they get older?

This is something I seem to have noticed with cameras, but I think I have experienced it with other small electronic items.

I have a Minolta Dimage Xt camera, got it in about December 2003. I started to have real problems with the battery holding charge, so replaced the battery. Now I am using the second of the replacements, a Uniros, and I can take it straight from teh charger to the camera and the camera registers only about 50% charge. A similar thing seems to be happening with my Olympus E10 using AA batteries.

It was suggested by a friend who is well experienced with digital cameras and other portable electronics, that these devices die a slow death over time as their internal contacts build up very thin layers of oxide. This increases the resistance, so requiring more juice to run the device.

I know that some would say that after five years its about time to buy something new, but, I like my little Minolta, it has been all I have wanted in a pocket size point-and-shoot, and I loath the idea that something that cost that much should be thought of as a 5-year disposable item.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
What type of batteries are you using?

I have this now with my Sony W1 but its because the rechargeable batteries are dying. I'm sure after a time Lithuim batteries do the same too.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I'm afraid thats how things are made now Chris,a prime example is the burner in my caravan,a cascde 2, the burner can be taken of the module,and replaced,the burner is all stainless steel except the two ends made in mild steel,guess what the mild steel rust's so you need a new burner,but you can't buy the burner for a couple of quid,you have to buy a complete module for £100 odd quid but there's nowt wrong with the module,they now how to have are pants down;)

Bernie

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Not sure about the lifespan theory (not that yours may be lower but as a generalism)... are the new and old batteries identical in power? I know some of the lesser aftermarket ones aren't as good as the manufacturers ones.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Could it be corrosion on the points, this would increase resistance and make the battery appear to flatten quicker as the power begins to drops off.

I have come accross cameras that appeared to be dead due to excess corrosion on their points, having had cheapy batteries leak in them, but when I cleaned the points (using the rubber on a pencil) the camera is magically repaired.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
There is nothing in the electronics that will normally ;) cause an increase in current draw from the battery (maybe it is possible that if you have a zoom and AF the mechanics of this will wear and cause more friction and more current draw). Contact resistance would not increase the current drawn either, but it would lower the cell voltage which will trigger the camera to shut down sooner (or also it could screw up the charge circuit for rechargeables if it's built into the camera). Get yourself some contact cleaning spray and give it a wipe over with a cotten bud, see if that improves it. You may have to change to new batteries again if your using rechargables as a few short charge cycles can reduce the capacity of nicads and shorten the life of Li ion or Li polymer.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
A guy who I work with is ex TV/Video repair engineer, he's mentioned about Cannon/Sony video cameras dying due to old age because the capacitors inside drying out or going short, It could be the same for other camera equipment.

Also we see a lot of failures of equipment in my job due to something called "The Capacitor Plague" where a lot of capacitors made in the far east fail due to problems in their manufacture (mostly computer stuff):confused:

As mentioned previously some replacement batteries aren't the same as originals and don't charge the same as originals.

Also as mentioned its worth cleaning the battery contact, only a small amount of tarnish can cause no end of problems at lower voltages ie:3 volts.

Richard

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Capacitor failure is unlikely to cause an apparent reduction in battery life - they just stop working.

I'd be pointing fingers at the batteries myself.

AlexY

Nov 26, 2008
I'd say just try the kit out with a fresh set of batteries and see if they perform the same as usual.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I started to have real problems with the battery holding charge, so replaced the battery. Now I am using the second of the replacements, a Uniros,

The only thing that I have not swapped is the camera. Tried the batteries, twice, and the charger. The E10 seems to do better with new batteries, but the Dimage is the one that has caused the real bother since its been the camera that I have taken on trips, while the DSLR stays at home mostly.

Cheers anyway :beerchug:

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Similar experience with a Dimage 7i - it's been back to the service centre for a new PCB and CCD etc. but had a long period of non-use due to what I thought was just being knackered and out of warranty, turning out to be a callback due to a known issue - but i got it back and would get about half an hour now out of a decent set of 2800 maH nimh cells....

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
No idea, my original canon 300d must be 5 years old now, it was the first plastic body DSLR and was about £800 at the time. It has earned its keep many times over and whilst there are far better cameras available for a fraction of that price and I quite fancy an upgrade the thing just keeps going and doing it's job. Aftermarket batteries don't perform as well as a new canon one.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Similar experience with a Dimage 7i - it's been back to the service centre for a new PCB and CCD etc. but had a long period of non-use due to what I thought was just being knackered and out of warranty, turning out to be a callback due to a known issue - but i got it back and would get about half an hour now out of a decent set of 2800 maH nimh cells....

When was this? Where do you send Minolta now? I doubt that they would bother with a tiny point and shoot, but I am still curious.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
I've heard of the battery contacts getting a layer on them over time due to exposure to the air, but usually putting the batteries in and out scratches the layer enough for the battery to get a good contact -- if i remember rightly this is the reason given for why taking batteries out of the TV remote and doing whatever to them seems to make them go a bit longer.

Try cleaning the contacts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE