Aga

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Friend is getting rid of theirs. an oil burner.

looking on Ebay they dont seem to be selling.

Are thy worth it?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Edited to add:- We’ve just heard that oil boilers have had a stay of execution. They might sell better now.

Aga? I live not far from where they used to be made. I’ve never owned an Aga but I have had two Rayburns made by Aga Rayburn of Telford. The old original one was great. The second one was a disappointment. It was poorly designed and badly assembled from poor materials. When it blew up I got an Esse. This was some time ago and things may be different with an Aga.

On the other hand an oil boiler/stove is very useful and is essentially “off grid.” I had mine maintained recently by a guy who has just done the course on heat pumps.
I asked should I be thinking of one. Apparently a fuel called HVO will still be available for oil boilers after an (increasingly distant) ban on conventional heating oil. (kerosene). No one is talking very loudly about HVO while they are pushing heat pumps.

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I used to live in a house with a very old aga that ran off wood and coal, sitting by it in the kitchen, in a cosy armchair, with the dogs at my feet, a bit of knitting and the radio.. hot chocolate, toast, done on a toasting fork, home made jam and butter for supper. Happy days.
Wish I was still there. !

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Too inefficient compared to modern boilers. Lots of people are replacing them hence the glut of 2nd hand Agas for sale.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It very much depends what type it is. Many range cookers are just that. Cookers. Others are intended as a heat source for radiators. Either type can be the older wick based ignition which works in the event of a power down scenario or they can be newer electrically controlled systems. To install it you will need a flue, an oil tank and a lot of plumbing. It will not be as cheap to run as a modern gas fired boiler

Reactions: RichardJackson

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE