African Blackwood spoon blanks

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hi guys...

Quite a rare chance here to get some quality African blackwood for carving projects. I bought a load of blackwood logs which was not cheap in the slightest, There are parts which are not suitable for knife handles so i thought i'd put them for sale here to see if they are any use to anyone.

Price is £20 each including fees and postage.

I have more than shown in the pics, just not cut them from the logs yet.

PLEASE NOTE, this is a very hard wood, will not be easy to carve and will no doubt require to sharpen your tools more often than other woods. Certainly not a wood for beginner carvers imo..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice offer Mark. I doubt my perpetually blunt tools would even scratch that stuff!

I've carved and sanded blackwood...its lovely stuff to carve and polishes up like glass. Its really not bad to carve at all - no special tools needed. I think a blackwood spoon would be amazing - smooth and dark and silky!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I've never tried to carve it, is it easy to do? All i know is that its hard and dense. Properly sharpened tools would deal with it well enough i expect.
I've carved and sanded blackwood...its lovely stuff to carve and polishes up like glass. Its really not bad to carve at all - no special tools needed. I think a blackwood spoon would be amazing - smooth and dark and silky!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've never tried to carve it, is it easy to do?

I found it split along the grain very easily, meaning planing cuts were easy enough. Gouging and cross graining are always harder work, but not harder than, say, oak or walnut. I wasn't doing anything fancy - you all know I am a klutz - but my abiding memory is the smoothness of the sanded finish. The grain is so tight it feels as smooth as plastic...but warm to the touch. Would make a fantastic spoon I think.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Aren't all the african figure carvings, masks and tribal war clubs made from blackwood?

I think a lot of them are, yes. Plenty of blackwood spoons/carvings on google to look at... nice things too. :)

I found it split along the grain very easily, meaning planing cuts were easy enough. Gouging and cross graining are always harder work, but not harder than, say, oak or walnut. I wasn't doing anything fancy - you all know I am a klutz - but my abiding memory is the smoothness of the sanded finish. The grain is so tight it feels as smooth as plastic...but warm to the touch. Would make a fantastic spoon I think.

I agree, it would make a grand spoon. I've never worked it other than for knife handles, and thats using power tools for the most part. Glad to hear it works well with hand tools too as i have loads of it here. It does take the best finish i have come across along with desert ironwood, very very smooth and shiny as you say, and it hand sands easily enough :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I know they won't match but if I drop you some measurements could you cut me two for some scales?
drop me a price if you will.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Hi Mark

I will have a piece off you to have a go making a spoon with , I will collect with the new knife when ready if that is ok

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
This is a great wood,Ive cut and turned a few pieces in the past and as BR says takes a superb finish.Would love to see a carved spoon out of this stuff.......

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Here is an example of the finish that can be gained from it. I only took this to 1000g wet n dry, oiled with Danish oil, then buffed with a wax compound...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE