Adze hatchet combo

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Great idea, but yes an accident waiting to happen in my opinion......but then is it any more a risk than a bilhook with two edges??

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The simplest solution to this seems to me to make a mask for each part and leave it on when the other end's in use.

I'm in the process of having a double-ended adze made by Silverhill. Last year I was talking this over with Whittler Kev via PMs and thought having a blade swinging towards you would be rather intimidating... then I counted the amount of times I've hit myself on the backswing using my claw hammer in 34 years of being a carpenter. Got to 1, and then it was because was in a cramped space and the claws hooked in my shirt and pulled a button off, I was 17 at the time. So I've now revised my opinion. It all comes down to the user and how they treat this tool.

I wonder how many paddy road builder there are who have stabbed themselves in the back using a pick axe on an overhead swing? :lmao:

I see your point Mike, and yes there could be a risk too.

Biker

I use my hawk as a hammer quite often and have still got both my ears.

The first time I did it I left the mask on but the impact started to force it onto the blade and it cut the stitching.

Now I leave the mask off and it doesn't bother me.

Yeah, good point that. would be a shame to wreck the mask for the sack of being just too cautious.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
You wont want a double bit axe then?

Good point.................although I don't have a great deal of use for one!

Bikers point also makes a lot of sense.....i've been a carpenter for 30yrs and don't think i've ever hit myself with the claw (although i have with the hammer end a few times...:twak:)

A mask on the unused side would be a good solution.................

Biker

Bikers point also makes a lot of sense.....

I did? It was?

Wow. :cool:

I must mark this down on the calendar as a red letter day.

Me too about getting too aquainted with the hammerhead end, sad to say. Blacked my thumbnail at 5.20pm on a friday 10 mins before knocking off time. I was 17 and still an apprentice the hammer head missed my thumb but the Estwing blade copped it right smack dab on the crescent moon at the base of my left thumbnail. That was a VERY miserable weekend for me. Haven't had anything hurt so much as that before or since.

Biker

Do you ever need to handle an adze in a way that means you would want to put your palm behind the adze?

In short no, but then I haven't much used an adze. I plan to once I get mine for Silverhill.

However the one you linked to in the OP being a bearded axe I wonder if you can get away with choking the shaft a bit and using it that way with your thumb under the bearded part? Might work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE