advise keeping things clean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
Does anyone have any any tips or advise on how i keep my kit clean. I always seem to end up with all my gear covered in blood , fish scales or soot.I only use a pan to boil water but no matter how I try an ember bursts into flame and hey presto soot, than its on my hands, knife handle everywhere. Same with blood and especialy fish bits, try cleaning them then all my kit smells of fish. Heeeelp

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Garbo,
The secret to keeping billies clean over an open fire, is to coat them before use with a smear of washing up liquid, and let it dry. If you do any camp washing, you'll need to re-apply, but if you're just boiling water, you should be OK for quite a few meals. You still get the black marks but they wash off very easily.
As for fish bits, have you tried claening the fish near the source that they were caught, so that you can rinse off any unwanted scales etc before you get back to the camp.
Not sure what to suggest for blood, it might help to know whether its yours or not!

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE