Advice. Spacers and vulcanised fibre knife handles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
Hi

Not sure if this is the correct section DIY or edged tools, wasn't sure.

I'm making a tradional hunting knife for my brother inlaw. As its a christmas gift I want to make it a bit more decorative than my usal single piece handle. Its a hidden tang knife and I was going to use some antler I have with a buffalo horn end cap but would like to put some spacers and red vulcanised fiber stripes top and bottom of the antler to add some tradional and decorative stripes. Whats the best way to bond the spacers and vulcanised fiber to the antler. Do it in sections then shape it once its all bonded to the knife or make the compelte handle then bond it to the tang? Also does the finished fiber need sealed or does the vulcansied bit do that already?

Tom

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Epoxy resin is your friend! Do all the sections in one go on to the tang, clamp, allow to dry and then shape. I'm sure you'll find suitable tutorials on here and over on BB.

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
Epoxy is great. Longer the glueing time, stronger the bond. For clamping I suggest this easy to make tool

glue2.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE