Advice sought - first aid training

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
Hi there

I'm toying withthe idea of getting myself trained up to offer first aid training, with the maximum at first being the "First Aid At Work" course, perhaps branching out if this brings in some fun work.

Any advice on suitable training companies, and proces, most welcomed.

Thanks

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've done the standard "workplace" first aid course a few time now.

One of the best trainers i had was St Johns Ambulance. Ex-paramedic, ex-military. Very funny, very informative and he could give practical applications for the techniques he was teaching.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
If you're looking to *offer* first aid training to others, you should probably look into what others are requiring of their trainers. Most everybody I've taken first aid from is at very least an EMR or Paramedic. It may be different in your neck of the woods.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
HI Paul.

As you know Garrick and I teach first aid. I decided to do my training with Lifesigns group based in Aldershot. I chose them as they have the expeditioning experience I was looking for so I would have the outdoor focussed training I needed. St Johns and The Red Cross provide some good courses but are not focussed on the outdoors and thus have little experience with remote first aid.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I think your putting a lot of pressure on yourself to get qualified for the purpose of teaching. Generally the best teachers are those who are immersed in the field. A good quote once told to me by a paramedic is "Best practice is not taught on courses, it’s learnt".

I have done a variety of courses and have never yet found a consistent approach, indeed in some cases poor, in some, laughable.

Wayne - I would say that from my experience and luck that certain Red Cross staff have outdoor experience as the ones I deal with teach Mountain Rescue teams and are very serious about knowing the conditions those teams work under. I always think its down to the individual not the organisation.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Useless
Fallow Way made some good points about the types of training availble in the UK, and what you intend to use it for. As a member of a RAF Mountain Rescue Team ive done lots of First Aid and Medical courses up to Ambulance Technichian level. I think if you purely want to teach FAW then a very good company is www.nucotraining.com they offer lots of different packages and will support you with all the support software to deliever this type of training.
It is however First Aid at Work and nothing more. If your intrested in gaining a outdoor perspective then its worth looking at some of the companies that advertise in the outdoor magazines (Climber,Trail etc) as they offer the same skills but with a hill/outdoor emphasis. Its worth looking for one that is recognised by the sport governing bodies like the MLTB and BCU.
I completed my EMT course with www.basp.org.uk and would highly reccommened them for an outdoor based first aid course they also offer FAW.
Hope this is useful Ed :)

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I've attended Wayne's (Forest Knights) weekend course and I highly recommend it! You won't find a better one or a more reasonably priced one and you'll walk away with a ticket recognised by just about every outdoor organisation you can point at stick at.

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
Thanks for the replies people.

Weekend Warrior I also attended a Forest Knight's course and learnt things (and also stuff), along with having a goodtime.

Limaed, I have been looking into the NUCO stuff, and suspect that is the direction I would be likely to go in, I was just wondering if there were any other recommended suppliers out there. However, another endorsement for them is worth noting, thanks.

Thanks all again

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
useless said:
Thanks for the replies people.

Weekend Warrior I also attended a Forest Knight's course and learnt things (and also stuff), along with having a goodtime.

Thanks all again

Doh! Oh yes! I remember you - pagan yoof working geezer :cool: :D

Just didn't associate you with the name useless, coz you seemed anything but! :D

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
got to admit I fancy doing a course to complement the Mountain Rescue Council one I've already done. That is a good course but it differce quite a bit from a "normal" first aid course - especially as the one for the 2 local teams also covers cave rescue situations.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE