Advice Please - Lake District with Kids

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We are up in the Lake District at half term and I need some advice on walks to do with kids. Last year we did Cat Bells and my girls did OK, Oldest one (5) made the top, youngest (4 but had her birthday the day before) not quite the top as the weather was turning and the wind was picking up.

Any ideas for other walks we could do as I don't really know the Lake District and they want to do another mountain or large hill. They have also done Gummers Howe twice now.

Cheers

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Lingmoor Fell starting from Elterwater is a great walk which feels like you are on top of a mountain but actually isn't too much of a climb, great views over great Langdale to the pikes then drop down into Langdale for lunch and back down to Elterwater on the flat. Is a bit exposed if weather is grim.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
If the weather aint great, you could go down Grizedale forest way, lots of walks (including a sculpture trail) from the visitors centre, plus all the usual gubbins that goes with visitor's centres.
Carron Crag is the highest point thereabouts, hardly a massive peak but nice all the same.
A good website with lots of walks and photos is 'striding edge.net' - well worth looking at!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
The simple walk around Buttermere is easy, with lots of opportunities to stray a little to investigate litle sreams and waterfalls coming into the lake.
If you're feeling a bit more adventurous Haystacks is great, but mind those youngsters as you get towards the top.
Also a nice loop up around Crummock water, pretty flat most of the way but quite pleasnt a scenic.
There are loads of route guides both on line and in all the tourist info centres and gift shops up there.

Hope you enjoy it.

Dave

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If the weather aint great, you could go down Grizedale forest way, lots of walks (including a sculpture trail) from the visitors centre, plus all the usual gubbins that goes with visitor's centres.
Carron Crag is the highest point thereabouts, hardly a massive peak but nice all the same.
A good website with lots of walks and photos is 'striding edge.net' - well worth looking at!
That's good advice my kids used to enjoy Grizedale when little and it's perfect for lots of different choices and opportunities for bailing out if it gets grim.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Try Keswick for a look round some shops and food ( best fish and chips in the Lakes ) then have a look at the woods just north of there off the road towards Whitehaven , there are a load of walks and even a go ape type set up , food ,toilets etc mountain bikes for hire and plenty of trails my lad enjoyed it when we went there in August

This place is called Wintoller or Winlatter Forest I think

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE