Advice on sweden gratefully apprec!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 13, 2011
Hi iv decided to make my biggest commitment in life by far immigrating to beautiful Sweden .Iv always adored its people & wilderness & would like to buy a wee patch land in a small community or 20 miles out for sake of supplies. I have a trade carpenter in demand their & enough to support myself which im hoping will help me accomplish my dream to be given entry.
My only barrier is the ideal place to live , Im looking for a place that has large mixed woods , rolling open hills with mounting back drops. Good brown trout lakes & with excellent wild life which is important to me I.e elk , red & roe deer , wolf , lynx , wolverine , beaver , willow grouse & capercaillie ! But most important of all to be isolated where not many people or hunters are rarely seen in winter. I m thinking more middle/west to northern parts. Does a place exist ??
I would much appreciate any info thanks in advance.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
How are you planning on getting through Sweden's immigration requirements? Do you have Swedish relatives? Do you speak Swedish?

Good luck with your plans.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
No advice but best wishes. There are some cracking locations in the EU that I don't feel we really take advantage of, given our citizenship rights. As for language, the standard of English in Sweden is very high - even among children. Some Swedish workplaces use English as much as Swedish and you can follow courses in Swedish universities through the medium of English. Still worth learning the language though, even just to be able to watch Wallander without the subtitles.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No immigration requirements, its the E.U.

It isn't quite so simple, and not just for Sweden.

The OP suggests that he may want to set up a carpentry business? Has he looked into whether or not this will be possible for a non Nordic EU citizen? If he is granted permission to stay, will that be permanent or will there be a periodic review of his status?

Edited to add:

Setting up a self employed carpenter would be possible, here is what you need...

Self-employed person
If you are self-employed, you must show the Migration Board that you have an enterprise in Sweden. The enterprise must not have started or given results, but you need to show that you are planning and preparing for this. If you already have an enterprise, you need to show that it is currently active. To show this, you can send:

* F-tax certificate
* Registration certificate for the company
* A marketing plan for the company
* A lease agreement for premises necessary for the company´s operations
* Proof of previous experience and expertise within the field in question
* Invoices from the company
* Receipts/invoices for materials purchased
* VAT accounts
* Transfer documents if you have purchased an already established business.

The Migration Board will contact you if other documentation is needed.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/147_en.html

If the migration board are happy with the above they will grant you a residence permit, the above site details the various options you have for converting that to permanent residence or even citizenship.

Or alternatively, being independently wealthy gets you in. :)

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would suggest do a few trips out there to see how you get on before planning such a big step. Flights are cheap enough, get out there for a couple of long weekends or a week or two if you can take time out. Not sure the place you describe exists, it is a big country that changes more slowly as you travel than UK so you drive for miles and miles seeing only conifer woods and lakes, it gets monotonous after a while but isolation is easy enough to find. Wildlife is far more sparsely spread than in the UK, you see more of it in the mixed farmland/woodland of say Darlana than deep in the conifer woodland. I imagine few Swedes have seen wolf, lynx or wolverine.

forestwalker

I live close to the actual center of Sweden (i.e. in Jämtland). If you are in the western parts the mountains are there as a backdrop, in the rest of södra norrland ("south north land") there are more hills than mountains. The wildlife is there, but to tell the truth fairly seldom seen by most people. Moose are common to see, as are the birds. Wolves; only seen them in parks, seen tracks that might have been wolf, same for lynx. No wolverines here, I live too far to the east for them. Bears are no unusual here, but again I've only seen tracks and scat, not the actual animal.

Housing is fairly cheap (a liveable house with some work needed can be found for SEK 100-150k), but can be hard to find in the countryside. Expect to have to do some major work on the cheap ones. The reason for this is that there is not much money in selling them, and many of the ones slowly returning to nature is owned by the children of the now deceased last occupant, and it is easier to keep them as an occational potential summer cottage than doing anything with it or selling it. There are some pitfalls in buying a house, e.g. if the septic system is not up to current standard the county will eventually demand that you upgrade, which can cost SEK 80000 or more if you are unlucky. The phone company is taking out the copper in some regions, and mobile coverage is spotty or nonexistant in many places. You can get the idea of housing by looking at http://hemnet.se, but you can often find cheaper prices on the bulletin board in the local grocery store (i.e. that is not sold by way of a realtor).

Now for the bad parts. It is pretty much all an economically depressed region, with high unemployment, an ageing population, impoverished local governments running schools and other basic services with very little money (some cities are the exception to this). The reason for this is that all the profits from the natural resources (hydroelectric and lumber) go outside the region, and only furnish a few jobs locally; until less than half a century ago there was de facto a colonial attitude to the north, which was seen as a source for natural resources and some tourism, but of no interest apart from that.

If you have kids they may have to walk up to 2 km to a school bus, and some schools are really, really cr*p at taking care of non-Swedish speakers (as in just dumping them in a regular class and giving them a few hours a week at most of extra tuition)

You really need to be able to communicate in Swedish to work in your trade (there are cources in Swedish as a Second Language offered, some are good, some are cr*p, but all take time and effort). English *may* suffice for a desk job in an office, but not for craftsmen or tradesmen.

This far south it is all settled country, not howling wilderness. As to distaces 30 km from the nearest willage with shops is easy (I have 8 to basic shopping, 25 to reasonable, 50 to decent shopping, 100 to an IKEA), but 30 km to the nearest house would be hard to accomplish here. Further north it could be done, but much trickier here in the woodlands.

There are logging roads in all the woods, and active logging and general forestry (i.e. if you don't own the woods around your house it migth turn in to a clearcut wastland next week). The kids run their dirt bikes in summer, and snowmobiles in winter. Mufflers on the engine is considered an unnessesary extra by most of them. Between early September and first real snow there is moose hunters in the woods, but they do not generally bother anyone. Good years a lot of (mostly Thai) berry pickers, generally getting paid squat for hard work. Hunting is of course all fairly tightly regulated, unless you own land you will have to lease hunting rights, and seasons. licences (etc) well regulated (basically all snaring is illegal, no hunting except with firearms, annual firearms proficiency tests for hunters, moose hunting is organized in "teams" of 10-30 hunters).

Climate: we had -35 C for a while last winter, both colder and warmer winter are not unheard of (typical winter day is -20 C or so), snow from November to March, few daylight hours in winter, few hours of darkness in summer. You need to clear the snow from your front door to a public road either yourself or pay someone with machinery to do it. Heating can cost a fair bit, we use 35 m^3 of firewood each winter, electricity is not cheap (it would cost SEK 3-4000/month to heat our house that way), and oil equally insanely priced.

It is a lovely part of the world to live in, but go here with open eyes. Visit, in all seasons, read up on the facts, and then make the jump.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Think how anoying it is when people come to our country and havnt even took the time to learn our language,id hate to be that person in another country so id say if you havnt already
take the time to learn good swedish otherwise youl get of on the wrong foot on building sites were work is already scarce.
Also wolf and wolverine youd be lucky to see them in the zoo mate unfortunatly.
Hope it works out

May 13, 2011
working on the language its the easiest to learn compared to norway , denmark & hardest of all finland! as kerne states most speak english but its nice to learn & be able to speak to show courtesy & respect to the swedish people as they appreciate it its known & also more liable to accept you in to their communities iv heard .

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I am in the proces of making this step too, coming august.
I appears to me that your preparations are somewhat.... inadequate.

It looks like you did not go there and experience the land, the people and the way things are, nor did you even search for a place to go to. You don't seem to know what to expect from the people, the society and the system.
I strongly recommend that you take a step back and do your homework first, befor making that huge jump.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.....

May 13, 2011
thanks sandbender for that knowledge on the self employed starting up , its good to know that information i hadnt researched as hoping to be employed by a friend but its another door thank you.

May 13, 2011
ronw thanks for the solid advice friend , i have been 3 times though . as stated working on language wont say how good i am yet Aha. As for not knowinganything about the place i agree to disagree their a little. Knowing where to live i put my hands up on that one - hence asking different sites about area`s & terrain as it has to be special after all & I do know exactly what type of area & terrain i want , its just finding it that truely special place i want as named on my first post.

May 13, 2011
forest walker Im so grateful to you for all that time & effort off good imformation on evrything thouraly enjoyed soaking it in. il be sure to check the area out ! The checking of local shop windows who can do private sales i did not know thank you very much on that one & prices & links. yes aware off the hunting regulations & the tests you have to complete but im more interested in photography !
henc no dodging bullets in prime wilderness !! -35 c last year i know it can go further down but & mainly -20c but to stay at -35c you got me their again amazing solid information iv taken notes on thank you in your dept for a lot off it.. p.s if i dont manage to live permantly it would still be good to know the area im looking for to holiday evry year & explore thanks every one this really is a good helpfull site

forestwalker

The checking of local shop windows who can do private sales i did not know thank you very much on that one & prices & links.

The way it works is that almost all grocery stores have public notice board just inside the outher doors. There you will find anything from "kids bicycle, pink" to "house" for sale, as well as notices of various stuff happening.

yes aware off the hunting regulations & the tests you have to complete but im more interested in photography !
henc no dodging bullets in prime wilderness !!

You are fairly safe even during the main hunting seasons. Very few accidents considering how many people are out hunting.

-35 c last year i know it can go further down but & mainly -20c but to stay at -35c you got me their again amazing solid information iv taken notes on thank you in your dept for a lot off it..

Temperatures vary by locality, but from here and northwards -20 is fairly normal winter temps, and -30 considered a bit on the nippy side but not more than that. Further north the low temps are more normal.

It isn't quite so simple, and not just for Sweden.

The OP suggests that he may want to set up a carpentry business? Has he looked into whether or not this will be possible for a non Nordic EU citizen? If he is granted permission to stay, will that be permanent or will there be a periodic review of his status?

Edited to add:

Setting up a self employed carpenter would be possible, here is what you need...

Self-employed person
If you are self-employed, you must show the Migration Board that you have an enterprise in Sweden. The enterprise must not have started or given results, but you need to show that you are planning and preparing for this. If you already have an enterprise, you need to show that it is currently active. To show this, you can send:

* F-tax certificate
* Registration certificate for the company
* A marketing plan for the company
* A lease agreement for premises necessary for the company´s operations
* Proof of previous experience and expertise within the field in question
* Invoices from the company
* Receipts/invoices for materials purchased
* VAT accounts
* Transfer documents if you have purchased an already established business.

The Migration Board will contact you if other documentation is needed.

http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/147_en.html

If the migration board are happy with the above they will grant you a residence permit, the above site details the various options you have for converting that to permanent residence or even citizenship.

Or alternatively, being independently wealthy gets you in. :)

Or alternatively, married to a Swede! :)

May 13, 2011
forest walker had advice privatley from a gent who lives their thats all il say but you were right about Jamtland he agrees with you very good place for house prices & good starting point thank you , oh found out about the hardship shops (loppisar) LoL the prce for a loaf 2.50 il be knocking at loppisar evry day .
David jt LOL yes heard i can always considering marrying to get in & with blond blue eyes they have also another door open ! AHA

forestwalker

forest walker had advice privatley from a gent who lives their thats all il say but you were right about Jamtland he agrees with you very good place for house prices & good starting point thank you ,

Eastern Jämtland is most certainly an economically depressed region, so house prices reflect that. If you live close to either Östersund or Sundsvall you have a bit better job market than out here in the middle. What happens in all of the north of Sweden (out in the country, that is) is that the young move away to opportunity and education, and never come back. Except perhaps to retire. Recipie for an economic disaster...

oh found out about the hardship shops (loppisar) LoL the prce for a loaf 2.50 il be knocking at loppisar evry day .
David jt LOL yes heard i can always considering marrying to get in & with blond blue eyes they have also another door open ! AHA

Second hand (loppis) is fairly big here, the Red Cross runs a "chain" of them, but there are plenty of others. Me, I detest them, enter like a hazmat zone, look for usefull tools and exit as fast as I can (99% is curious junk, not useufull stuff IMNSHO). Food you pretty much need to buy in the grocery stores, so no luck there.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
My girlfriend moved here permanently this year and we have together gone through a lot of bureaucracy. It´s not just move to Sweden and live happy and think that since we learn English in school we will speak English to you, as a tourist yes, living here no. You have to learn the language and that takes months of full time studies, trust me I know someone who studies all the time to learn and it´s not easy. Many workplaces will not speak english with you, know a landscape architect that got to experience that and a painter that got to experience the same after a few weeks when they got tired of talking english.

You need to get a PIN (personnummer) because without that you cant even get a library card and it took 5 months for us to get one for my girlfriend, they changed the rules last year making it more difficult and we ended up magistrate our partnership.

I know several people that has moved here from England and most of them to experience the nature and they live from down south in Skane to the top in Norrland. They all love their part of sweden and found their wilderness paradise. But living far up in the north can be hard, especially in winter and not because of the snow and cold but of the darkness. I know a guy who could not stand it and moved south after a few years.

Visiting Sweden is a great thing to do and the flights are cheap and it´s easy to travel around, why not do so more and get to know Sweden and the people and traditions here. Maybe get in contact with people that has done this before, they often know what it´s like and what kind of problems you might encounter.

As the Survival School motto goes "Preparatus Supervivet" The prepaired will survive"

May 13, 2011
Viking thank you , getting that (pin) is an issue iv already known about & a real concern ! its as if the bureaucracy has it for a stopper at their will. As said its early days im prepared to wait out & see after all the paper work has been filled out, with none amity against. One thing is became clearer i didnt know was the language that although most are fluent its important to be able to speak it. i suppose its only right though as why would i want to speak a none native language in my country so it makes sense to learn well thanks.
It appears if not further south for importance off work - its a very hard place to get by if desire is to live further out unless as you say to ahve all covered & prepared before the move which im feeling pretty confident in that department . i do have some savings , i sould handle the weather being from scotland as its dark here to from 3pm in winter but do appreciate its longer their but my admiration for northern boreal countries would be my strengh to put up with it as its ideal for both wilderness & modernest for what i need.
It might take as long as a year to know where i stand & if doesn`t happen im still planning in making it my most visited holiday destination.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE