Advice on saw needed.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys.
You know that scenario when you are leaving the crime sceen in the middle of the night, in the pouring rain via the bendy mountain road. And you have a fallen tree blocking your way?
I have just purchased a new car and I'm collecting emergency bits for the boot. I need a folding band saw (buck saw?) that would solve the above problem. I think it will do the job better than a small axe. Also it does not have to be the lightest, but I have some extra space where the triangle goes so ideally it should pack flat and square if you know what I mean. Cheaper the better.

Open to any suggestions.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
You could make one. There's a few threads on here and loads of youtube videos. If you have the timber (nuthing fancy required), all you need to buy is the blade.

For example...
[video=youtube;dH9ZBqRQyT0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH9ZBqRQyT0[/video]

Please note, I haven't watched this all the way through, so there may be better videos out there.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Ten minutes with a saw will save you thirty with a shovel... get past before the tree falls :goodnight:

Last edited:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Thank you Jack for that. But at the moment I need something quick and effective. After making one myself I would hate to carry it in the boot for the next 5 years with little chance of beeing used...

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I'd pick a non folding bowsaw Bahco 24"... Economy versions are around a tenner.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Perhaps I'm being reckless, but I would question the need for a saw. A FAK, a blanket, a candle and maybe a folding shovel should cover most eventualities in Chester? My wife used to carry this in the car when travelling from near Liverpool to see me in York over the M62 (highest motorway in UK) during the winter months.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's a plethora of saws out there but one thing I'd warn about is tackling fresh windblow without a bit of knowledge. The strains and torsions in fresh blown timber can take even professional cutters by surprise. I've seen chainsaws and men flying through the wood when taken unawares. That or a truely stuck saw. It's why large windblown areas are often left for a while to allow these pressures to dissapate. If you are going to tackle something be careful.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

sachapost

Apr 21, 2015
The Netherlands
I have one of these: http://www.militarycollectibles4u.nl/a-28974481/gereedschap/demontabele-zaag-handig-om-mee-te-nemen/

Very light and sturdy, comes with a blade but takes a standard Bahco saw blade. You store all the components in the metal tube and screw it shut, leaving you with a tube of about 16 inches by 1 inch thick. Now you should be able to get these in the UK as well, it was by one of these "military" brands that you find in surplus stores a lot. I think it started with an F... Very helpful, I know :eek:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I have one of these: http://www.militarycollectibles4u.nl/a-28974481/gereedschap/demontabele-zaag-handig-om-mee-te-nemen/

Very light and sturdy, comes with a blade but takes a standard Bahco saw blade. You store all the components in the metal tube and screw it shut, leaving you with a tube of about 16 inches by 1 inch thick. Now you should be able to get these in the UK as well, it was by one of these "military" brands that you find in surplus stores a lot. I think it started with an F... Very helpful, I know :eek:

Upgradeinnovations make one like that

Theres also the trailblaser sawvivor, eka folding bow saw, and the well respected "sven saw"

but for actual usability in cutting a goodly amount of wood the bob destrude is the best imo

Last edited:

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Bob destrude buck saw is the kidder imo
That hits the spot!!! Thank you.
Also great find Sahapost.

@Jack Bounder
Chester is not my concern, I do go Wales and lake district quite often with my friends, not to mention driving to Poland once or twice a year. Us bushcraft/survival people are willing to drag a lot of stuff around for peace of mind and to be prepared :)

And a very good point on beeing carefull, if the problem is bigger than me I'll grab the 24h rat pack instaed of the saw :)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I really rate the bob destroud. The only thing i did to mine is rivet on a thin steel plate where the saw blade goes through the ally frame.....i thought that would be wear point so reinforced it before any serious use
I'v given it a fair bit of hammer since then and theres ne sign of wear at all on the tool

I would heed goatboy's advice too. Fallen timber under stress is not to be taken lightly. Even when doing it for a living i get a sweat on sometimes

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE