Advice on Leather Working

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,

I've finished my current wood working projects and would like to learn a new skill, so as I've just bought myself a new knife(Svord peasant- wood handle) I thought I'd like to make a sheath for it.

How hard is it to learn to work leather and would making a sheath for the svord be a good way to start?
What sort of tools would I need or can I improvise stuff from home?
What sort of leather/suede would I need?
Would old jackets or leather from sofas do or would I be best to buy veg tanned leather from ebay?

I've seen some of the beautiful stuff made on this forum and thought you folks would be the best to ask, as all other advice from here has helped alot with other things I tinker with :)

cheers Andy

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hi Andy

A Svord is a great one to start with as you can do a basic wet formed envelope sheath like this:
DSC01790.JPG

or something more complex.

Go for 2/3mm veg tan leather to start with.
You need a craft knife, a micro drill (an electric screwdriver will be sufficient to drive it), some blunt needles, some artificial sinew or waxed linen thread (I'd go with the sinew) and I'd recommend a stitch marker and an edge groover. But a fork can be used with a bent prong if needs be.

Leather oddments can be bought off ebay. Jackets and sofa's won't provide you with stiff leather it's better for pouches and bags.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the advice most appreciated , I just saw your other thread, I really like both the sheaths you made for the svord. If I can do something half as nice I'll be a happy man :) . Looks like I've got some reading and research to do though, not sure what wet forming is.
My b/day's next month so I'll ask the missus for some tools for my prezzie :), I'll start making my list now.

Cheers

Andy

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Wet forming (for a sheath) is when you wet the leather and insert the knife (wrapped up in something waterproof) into the sheath - the leather then stretches and "forms" around the knife, then hardens as it dries to form a nice snug fit.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
So as I understand it you will first make a sheath that is to tight for the knife to fit, then wet the leather thoroughly and then insert you knife putting some extra pressure on the edges so the knife will fit in perfectly?
Or am I going off a bit

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...mountainm's words pretty much cover it...as youre beginning best to use no more than 3mm veg tan full grain....i use fiebings dyes and finishes.....their carnauba cream is popular to waterproof/polish....and i use artificial sinew now too...but you can use any thick thread really...i use a cheap drill press to do holes....a 50 quid silverline....but a hand drill and a 1.5mm or 2mm bit will do....oh and youll need pliers to pull needle thru probably....i buy nearly all my supplies from le prevo....

and if you wanna see stuff to aspire to then check out luckylees thread....i hate him lol

good luck

a

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi....once your sheath is glued/stitched/rivetted in place soak it in warm water for a few minutes....it goes supple....careful not to bruise it with fingernails...then insert the clingfilmwrapped item and then using thumbs push around the shape for couple of minutes....you can then leave in or take out and dry at room temp or in airing cupboard....etc etc....these will all affect to a minor degree the shrinkage/snugness and stiffness once dried.

have fun

a

So as I understand it you will first make a sheath that is to tight for the knife to fit, then wet the leather thoroughly and then insert you knife putting some extra pressure on the edges so the knife will fit in perfectly?
Or am I going off a bit

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks allot guys this gives me a whole new technique to try out, ps Werner Herzog a year in the Taiga/ happy people is my favorite documentaire :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE