Advice on Leather and tools for newbie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I am wanting to have a go at making some "stuff" using some old leather samples books I got from a furniture store and also have a go with the scouts making some simple woggles one evening.

So far I have decided that I should get the following tools

2" awl blade (x2 in case I break one) + handle
no 3 saddlers needles (pack of 26)
overstitch wheel

I am tempted by a project book possibly the DIY Bushcrafting gear book

I already have some artificial sinew I bought from a member here.

I was looking to get some leather to make plaited woggles as the samples book material is a bit too flimsy (not checked the thickness). I was also going to get some eyelets/rivets/press studs for these.

It was suggested by Le Prevo that I use 1.6mm leather but it is a minimum 7ft sq and I really only need a couple of ft sq.

They have a special on 1.5mm veg-tan goat starting @ 4ft sq which so also cheaper so more affordable.

My questions are

Have I gone overboard or too light on the tools mentioned for a beginner?

What is the opinion of the Veg Goat. Is it a nice material to look at, touch, work?

any suggestions would be appreciated

Richard

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
The tool list seems fine - is easy to go overboard and what you have there (plus a craft knife will get you off to a good start:)

Re Leather - Leprevo sell 'belt blanks' by the inch width - you can get them any width you want;) you just multiply the inch price to what you need

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/straps.html

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I made a pouch and a journal cover from a veg-tanned goatskin from Le Prevo and was well pleased with the quality and the strength of the material.

bookcoverip6.jpg

It is also lovely to the touch and easy to sew. Depending on what you want to make, you can't go far wrong with it.

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I was pointed in the direction of the belt blanks when I mentioned sheaths but I think it is too thick for the woggle plaiting so the 1.6mm was suggested.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE