Advice on flint please

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've been practising with a flint and steel today, and was wondering do Ineed to do anything to maintain the edge or will the action of striking gradually moving along they edge keep it in shape. here's a pic of the flint.
DSCF2619.jpg

DSCF2620.jpg

and the kit itself.
DSCF2614.jpg

any help would be great cheers.

Southey.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I bought this from shark designs on evilbay for about seven pounds advertised with scratches on the tin but they are so small it makes no odds.theres a really effective lens in the lid with protective brass cap the kit came with two strips of amadoo, three lengths of sizle, a bag of char cloth(replaced with my own as original mostly dust) one flint and a U steel, I added a cramp ball and an ultra absorbant tampax(highly ompressed tinder), I really like the kit the shape of the tin means it sits nicely in my pocket, I think it was advertised as a Hudsons bay Trading Company tinder box.
DSCF2625.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If it blunts a lot you can "pressure flake" the edge to get it sharp again. If you google that it'll show you ho its done Southey

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers BR, I might have found another skill to learn, flint work looks cool, funny that I grew up in view of Stonehenge,spent alot of time digging arrow heads out of the chalk, never thought to make them, i'll have to have a proper go when we move back down.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I know, I had a look this afternoon and was a bit shocked at the price, it is a really nice kit, mine was listed as damaged but it just looks like its been in a pocket with some keys, blunt ones at that.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Definately a good catch their my friend - very well done!

I fancy the 1700 on that they do, got to do some major justification to change from a tobacco tin to one though :)

ATB
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE