advice on catching signal crayfish

I received my application pack yesterday for a licence to catch crayfish.

Am i true in thinking that on each occasion I will need a new license and again for each river/catchment?

I naively thought I would get a licence giving me consent to catch crays for an open period across my local area.

Anyone got any experience of doing it the legal way?

Leo

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I found that the application form was geared up to a clearance operation on a particular stretch of water, but when I applied for a license last year I just asked for one drop net with the reason being personal consumption and asked for a long stretch of river and over a 6 month period, and was granted this. The license itself was fairly vague on the area in which I could operate (given that I'd need to obtain the landowner's permission in any case) and IIRC simply stated something like 'The Thames in Oxford'.

Geoff

Aug 10, 2009
Guildford
Yup, just specify a stretch of water (or highlight on a map) and range of dates and you're done.

Let us know how you get on with different types of bait.

cattyman

Mar 23, 2008
lancashire UK
I received my application pack yesterday for a licence to catch crayfish.

Am i true in thinking that on each occasion I will need a new license and again for each river/catchment?

I naively thought I would get a licence giving me consent to catch crays for an open period across my local area.

Anyone got any experience of doing it the legal way?

Leo

where did you get the application from Leo.thanx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE