Advice on bushcraft knife needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

craigsalter

I was wondering if I could draw on some peoples experience who know more than I do about knives? I am comparing two makes of knife to buy, and simply do not know enough to make up my mind!

My first question is about the type of steel. Basically most manufacturers refer to the rockwell scale and the numbers vary. What would you consider to be the best figure for that?

also can you compare these knives for me?

- frost mora (and suggest a model)
http://www.frosts.se/index_2_uk.html

- helle harding.
http://www.heinnie.com/hiota2676191/Knives/Helle/Helle-Harding/p-92-150-1118/

- An alternative brand that you know costing under £100.

Thanks

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Have a look at the KELLAM knife range,there Kellam Wolverine Puukko 3.7" SPT is a Great knife and the Hardness of the cutting edge is 62-63,But to be honest I think buying a knife because of the blades Hardness isn't the best way to get a decent knife.And for the price you have in mind you can buy Great Quality blades.

C

craigsalter

I will look into those thanks, and yeah I am not keen on buying a knife as hard as I can get it because that may make it too brittle, which is why I was wondering what people consider to be the best figure for hardness.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
rockwell hardness is a very complex thing when it comes to blades- generally the harder the better, but the harder the blade the more it tends to chip if it hits a knot or a stone, a softer blade would "roll" or deform rather than chip. However, for the same reasons, a harder blade will take and hold a sharper edge than a softer one. To be honest though, in general usage, if it make a huge amount of difference i'd be surprised. Most opf my knives are between 57 and 62 hrc, but the vast majority being about 58 to 59.

the forsts are great knives- get a rubber handled clipper and spend the rest of your money on biscuits and cocoa- learnt o use and maintain the cheap knife and then drop a few more quid on a nicer one a while down the line

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
learnt o use and maintain the cheap knife and then drop a few more quid on a nicer one a while down the line

Im kinda the opposite, in that 20 years ago, i would have happily spent a small fortune on a knife in the naive belief that it would somehow reflect my commitment to learning all that it could acomplish

Now, decidedly older and questionably wiser.. I wouldnt want for anything more than a mora

Dont get me wrong, there are some beautiful knives on here, and im sure many are a joy to handle, but they dont cut any better.

Id get yourself a carbon mora or maybe a few (i got six in varying grinds n such, each got its own use) and learn to sharpen it and use it. and enjoy the simplicity of it. but remember that its a tool, no more, no less

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Im kinda the opposite, in that 20 years ago, i would have happily spent a small fortune on a knife in the naive belief that it would somehow reflect my commitment to learning all that it could acomplish

Now, decidedly older and questionably wiser.. I wouldnt want for anything more than a mora

Dont get me wrong, there are some beautiful knives on here, and im sure many are a joy to handle, but they dont cut any better.

Id get yourself a carbon mora or maybe a few (i got six in varying grinds n such, each got its own use) and learn to sharpen it and use it. and enjoy the simplicity of it. but remember that its a tool, no more, no less

Good reply there chap.

If you are 'into knives' as in collecting or are a very busy camper spend the money on this aspect of your hobby, if you are a more general camper like most here, spend £8 on a Mora, you won't regret it and you have £90 left for other kit :) Mors kochanski uses a cheap Frosts knife and it they are good enough for him, they are good enough for me:cool:

leon-1

My first question is about the type of steel. Basically most manufacturers refer to the rockwell scale and the numbers vary. What would you consider to be the best figure for that?

The major reason that Rockwell scale varies is that different types of steel have an optimum hardness for a specific type of use, as a basic high carbon steels (O1, W1) will have a rockwell hardness of between 57 - 59 for use in bushcraft. This means that they retain a good edge, can be sharpened reasonably easily and have enough flexibility that that won't shatter when battoned.

Stainless and super steels may have a higher Rockwell number as they have greater resistance to wear and tear due to other elements that have been added (chromium, molybdenum and the like), I have blades that are S30V which are RC62, others that I have in D2 are RC61 and RC63.

These figures are good for bushcraft knives, but for tree beaters (machetes or parangs) you would require something with a bit more give to it at RC53 - RC55.

also can you compare these knives for me?

- frost mora (and suggest a model)
http://www.frosts.se/index_2_uk.html

- helle harding.
http://www.heinnie.com/hiota2676191/Knives/Helle/Helle-Harding/p-92-150-1118/

- An alternative brand that you know costing under £100.

Thanks

The frosts are very good knives, the 760 is what they used to call the training knife, a very good and capable knife with very little wrong with it, but some people don't like the handle. The frosts 860 (frosts clipper) is a better model with a more comfortable handle.

The other one which is what Mors traditionally used to use was the S-1/OH BK or the S-1H BK. Both Carbon steel knives.

Helle Hardings are very good knives and Helle has very good customer service.

Suggestions, you could end up with hundreds on here, working through from Brusletto through Fallkniven and onwards.

Personally I would say get the frosts, see what you think of it, you may be very surprised by what it can do and how very good they really are. At a later date there is nothing to stop you from buying a blade blank of one and making it a custom knife with a nice wooden handle.

I hope this helps a bit,

Leon:)

cub88

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
worksop
I had the same question when i first joined the forum, i took the advice from the good people here and got a frosts. It has been a great knife and is easy to sharpen.

its the perfect starter knife

cheers
cub

C

craigsalter

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I have decided to try out a frosts clipper. Not only has your advice given me confidence in the knife I have bought, it has also saved me £90 that I can spend on other usefull kit such as sharpening stones.

Again many thanks for the time taken to give me advice :)

cub88

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
worksop
if u want to save more money check out british reds £5 sharpening kit thread, i found it very usefull and very effective

cheers
cub

C

craigsalter

Yeah I read that, its awsome, but I don't mind investing in decent waterstones. They will stay with me a long time hopefully. Also if I have the right stones and the right kit and I find I can't get a decent sharp edge I know its only me to blame!

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Id had this problem when i first started out but someone recomended the wooden mora.
And i can honestly say its the best knife ever used.
Also they cost the same as a usual plastic one.

Regards,Ryan

Hammy734

Sep 6, 2008
Portadown, Northern Ireland
Very good thread this, especially for those new to knives and wanting to to dip their toe in the water first... From reading all of your comments I too have decided to go with a clipper for a while to see just how I get on. I think it would be better to break out all my bad habbits on a cheaper knife before committing to buying a more expensive knife! Now just to read more in the forums about how to maintain/sharpen it! Thanks guys...

I have had knives that I've had to save months for and wait even longer to get, and did I use them?, no way, they were too expensive!! so what did I do?, I sold them and bought a dozen moras , one for each pack and some to be kept in my barbours, they are all i need and to be honest i wouldn't think about getting a custom anymore, in my opinion they're just not worth it!

C

craigsalter

OK, I made a mistake and ordered a stainless clipper when I wanted the carbon one. Which I have now ordered! But the stainless one is still a very good knife, the hard plastic sheath annoys me when I am crouching, I will experiment with its positioning.

The main problem is when I am crouching to use the knife, so if I can't adjust the position of the sheath I will make a leather one that will bend when empty.

This thread has proven very helpful to me, and its enabled me to "get out there" on a budget rather than sitting dreaming about doing bushcraft. Thanks all.

OK, I made a mistake and ordered a stainless clipper when I wanted the carbon one. Which I have now ordered! But the stainless one is still a very good knife, the hard plastic sheath annoys me when I am crouching, I will experiment with its positioning.

The main problem is when I am crouching to use the knife, so if I can't adjust the position of the sheath I will make a leather one that will bend when empty.

This thread has proven very helpful to me, and its enabled me to "get out there" on a budget rather than sitting dreaming about doing bushcraft. Thanks all.

Neck knife?, hang the sheath on a bit of paracord round your neck, then the knife is always accessible and not too intusive.

C

craigsalter

Just thought I would drop back to this thread to point out what wonderful advice I was given, I still have the mora knife that was recommended on here it has seen much use and has not failed, I have made axe handles, spoons, toggles and many other things with it out on the trail, and my sharpening has improved to the point I can actually shave with it is I really wanted to!

So in summary, a year on and the £8.50 mora has done all it should do and is still going strong.

So thanks again for the advice. What a bargain :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well ten years or so before I bought myself a Martiini (did I put the right number of I's in the right place there?) never heard of Frosts, just purchased what was in the local fishing tackle shop. Does that mean my blade is worse than anyone elses and make me persona non grata amongst the aficionados and cognoscenti?

Never mind that for heavy duty I have a much pitted carbon steel chopper of some antiquity and dubious provenance, it splits wood what more can you want?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE