Advice on Buffalo sleeping system sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 15, 2005
Dartmoor
I am looking for advice for using a Buffalo pile sleeping bag as winter outer for my 2 season down bag. Thoughts are, that rather than buy a bivi-bag I can use the Buffalo to protect the down and use my 2 season bag during the colder months. I want ot play outdoors more, under constructed shelters and leave the tent at home, but I am worried about down and moisture. The 2 bag Buffalo system seems just too bulky to bother with.

There appears to be two outers, a lightweight and a thicker one. The lightweight is reasonably lightweight but the thicker one weighs more than me (almost). I thought that I could use the Buffalo outer when I am near a fire and not caring about rain too much?

Would this idea seem like a good option or am I barking up a lamp post?

Comments welcome.

Butternut

May 11, 2005
The Hinterland (Surrey!)
I've had a Buffalo Special 6 shirt for a few years and love it, but it isn't water proof (it's water resistant-ish) but instead relies on the fast wicking to dry it when the rain stops. This is generally very good (if the sun comes out you can almost see it drying) but if the outer of the sleeping system is the same material (Pertex), I presume your down sleeping bag will get wet :confused:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Borneo Wildman said:
Comments welcome.

Buffalo bags don't compress well, are heavy (especially when wet) and are not waterfproof.

In their favour, they are warmer than down and many synthetics when damp and they are very robust.

I'm not sure I'd use one over a down bag unless I had a waterproof bivvy bag too - it might be a bit tight inside the bivvy bag because of the bulk of the two sleeping bags together. Might be worth a try, though if your bivvy bag is on the large side...

Mike

Aug 15, 2005
Dartmoor
Thanks guys. Looks like I am still needing a bivi-bag after all. But am trying to avoid the need for a higher rated winter bag too.

What do bushcrafties actually do about sleeping out and having down bags? Are they always avoided or is it worth the risk of dampness. I am wanting to be reasonable close to the fire too - building and living in an open topped debris shelter / group shelter, kind of tipi style. Tought the Buffalo stuff sounded just the ticket (especially if you're not hiking for miles with it).

So question...What is a good sleeping bag combi for living in a debris hut and having a fire reasonably close by? :confused:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I think for bushcrafting, you're probably best off with synthetic bags. Down is fantastic and I love it for higher-altitude, very cold work BUT it's pants when wet and you've probablt got more of a chance of getting damp when out in the woods.

There is always the option of using two 2-season synthetic bags together - this is quite a flexible method but can be a little more bulky. Perhaps a thinnish synthetic inside a Buffalo bag?

Experiment a bit...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have used Buffalo bags for twenty years or more, however I have recently changed to a pair of Nanok bags and so far I'm very happy with the change.

I'd have to agree with everything said so far, Buffalo bags are very heavy and bulky, however I have yet to find another sleeping system which remains comfortable when used day after day for months with little or no chance to dry and air them.

Meaghaidh

Aug 10, 2005
Peak District
Hi,
I have useed buffalo for 22 years approx. It tends to be a way of life, hard to explain. Some folk love it to extremes, others hate it. I know what I know from experience. I have one friend, a guide in Norway that owes his life to buffalo after a icefall colapse in winter and a little swim and a seven mile crawl across a frozen lake to shelter all at sub 15c.
Its not the smartest kit around, it doesn't like to get to close to the fire, and it is not waterprooof.
As said earlier it dries rapidly with heat, the heat of your body. I have been to bed rather damp/wet and have woken in the morning with dry clothes including dry socks.

If you are sheltered a little, then I would not be concerned about the down bag getting wet. I have used a mountain equipment dewline bag inside a 4s outer, a good combo.

Out of interest for others reading this, wear buffalo next to the skin in this country. Only wear something under a shirt if you may get sun burnt with any of the vent zips open. Do not worry about the rain if you are moving when the rain eases you will dry out quite quickly.
I have some other stories of buffalo use, but they can wait for another time.

Some buffalo stockists will loan you a top or bag to try they are that confident it works.

Good luck.

Paul B

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have the buffalo outer bag that "survival aids" did , never bought the liner . Only used it in the UK ,but never had any problems with it . Top quality kit .
Does anybody know if the buffalo liners will fit the survival aids outer ?
Pumbaa

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have used the Buffalo system for many years, the bags work best when used with the clothing system, which is the best system for cold/wet environments. I have never used the inner bag, instead I used the complete clothing system.
For bushcrafting it is not the ideal choice, clothing for use round fires is best made from natural fibres.
The system is bulky & heavy, down & synthetic bags are lighter and far more compact.
For true bushcrafting a shelter warmed by a long fire, a bough bed thats good and thick, and a good wool blanket, will serve you well.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE