Advice on bigger knives.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I used and loved my MOD knife for a good 10 years and did everything with it from carving fine spoons to chopping and splitting. But now I tend to use a mora and my beloved hawk (thank you mr Budd). The two together weigh about the same as the MOD but are FAR more capable. Having said that, due to the price of the MOD I think it's a great way to start to discover what you want without spending too much. Though if money isn't an issue and you want a big knife I'd look at the BK9, or the SP50, as I prefer a full flat grind as it slices better and gives more length of blade for the same weight.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
You won't find a knife that can do heavy chopping that is great for fine work, the requirements are too far apart. Best to plan on a small fixed blade to accompany the big knife.
This would be my advice too... I carry a big knife and a small knife like a leuku puukko combo, but because I like full tang knives I settled on the John Nowill Survival Knife (7 inches) and the Condor Bushcraft Basic 4 (4 inches)
https://www.facebook.com/truesurviv...1294397579576/829647017077643/?type=1&theater
This picture is of the John Nowill Survival Knife and the Condor Sapien...
It took a lot of expensive trial and error before I found the Condor Bushcraft Basic 4... If you can get your hands on the knife you want before you buy it you might save yourself a lot of money!!

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I dunno, I think to far too much an extent it is about followers of fashion, when I was a nipper Ray Mears was not even born, and my first "bushcraft" knife (I don't think there was such a thing as bushcraft then) was a six inch bladed sheffield bowie. I don't think there was much choice then because that is all there was. Blades were on the large side and clip pointed.

My current user at least has the distinction to be Finnish, but it still has a 5 inch blade. It's the handle I do not like though because it is rubber and not very bushcrafty at all. For all that the blade is not over large and the extra length can sometimes have it's advantages when you use it as a draw knife.

Five inches is a happy medium I think, neither too large nor too small, and I don't give a monkeys if Ray Mears gives it his approval or not.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
One thing I'd think about if you are going for a Bowie style knife if that a lot of them despite being fairly chunky looking have very thin stick tangs and wont stand up to heavy chopping. (Though again I've always fancied a Brass Backed Bowie for the collection)

I must protest, when did you ever see a full tang Bill Hook, and they are choppers. FWIW my original Bowie was full tang, my current user as mentioned in my previous post is stick tang buried in a rubber handle, but I wouldn't go batoning with it, that is what my SAK classic is for.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
but I wouldn't go batoning with it, that is what my SAK classic is for.

Hmm, that doesn't sound quite right.

Have you considered having something made for you? It would be much more your knife. Chap called Bones61 on BB makes some beautiful Bowies. You'd get what you actually want, the Bowie tip lending itself to notching and finer work. More so than a machete IMO.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know what you mean Laurentis, but most billhooks have a heavy enough stick tang to take the abuse, whereas very few bowies that have a stick tang are robust enough to take the punishment. There's stick tangs and then there's "stick tangs" so to speak.

Finnman

May 22, 2009
Finland
I got Varusteleka Skrama few weeks ago and was amazed how well it performs as jack of all trades. It's full tang and have quality (Lauri's) carbon steel blade. It's also very affordable.
a5b7710abc99daff84f0afdcc7be0f4c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finnman

May 22, 2009
Finland
And bit better pic of knife itself. That fork was fastly made with Skrama to see how you can do finer tasks with it if you have to.
e450702b7e351a5b936bff1f296a448b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE