Advice on an old axe head for repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh

i got this old axe head some time back . I think it's been used as a wedge in the past... But I'd like to repair it and get it going again as a 2 handed axe.. The hole doesn't appear distorted, but the ?poll is split a bit.. I'd plan to grind this back (carefully)...
Any thoughts or advice? Or is it just a poor wedge? I'm also not sure what shape this type is used/ intended for...

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
How far does the split in the poll go? all the way into the eye?

If not then just grind it to shape and clean it up.

If it is a full split.. then you could try a bead of weld just to tie it up, then grind it flat but it won't be as strong as it was originally, but still good enough for normal axe use, but not as a wedge.. :D

And by the look of the long bit, I'd say it was a medium sized splitting axe.

If you need a hand, send me a message!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
In that case, just grind the crack out. Only weld it if it's deep and you don't want to lose the extra weight.

Seabass

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2012
Borders, Scotland
Looks like a well battered Kent pattern head. Any makers mark? Gilpins or Elwell maybe. I filed back a similar one as generally only the cutting edge is high carbon , cleaned up (Ali oxide blasted) then pattinated in half vinegar & boiling water overnight. Sharpened up a treat, made ash haft & leather mask and in regular use now.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE