Advice on an EDC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
What keeps the Opinel open if you remove the lock? The one I had was lethal without the lock, would close on you if you so much as sneezed, whether or not you were cutting at the time!

Interestingly Opinel started in 1890. The Virobloc mechanism was invented a lot later by Marcel Opinel in 1955

seemed to work fine without the lock back then I would imagine the wood slot was a tighter fit as the opinel 'knock' has always been needed to open them

I gave my handle a soak and it swelled the wood for a much better fit

Short_edc

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2020
Cambs
I have a kizer vangino zipslip, in black g10, it doesn’t fit the criteria but it’s a great little Edc blade and I have had no issues atall with it.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
For the last 2 weeks or so I’ve been using a Real steel Luna as my EDC, the Hennie Haynes red G-10 / D2 version.
Long story short I’m hugely impressed with it, it’s the kind of knife you wouldn’t feel short-changed paying double the £30 asking price. Well worth checking out.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Chimpy leon,
Re. the red Real Steel Luna...I bought two for gifts for friends, not given them yet. I was rather concerned about how light the spring is. Lighter than any of my other slip joints. How have you found that aspect?

The blade does slice cardboard like a laser!

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
For the last 2 weeks or so I’ve been using a Real steel Luna as my EDC, the Hennie Haynes red G-10 / D2 version.
Long story short I’m hugely impressed with it, it’s the kind of knife you wouldn’t feel short-changed paying double the £30 asking price. Well worth checking out.
yeah i have one on back order at the moment, i carry on my keyring the heinnie edition boker rocket aswell

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I shared your concern at first with the back spring as it was lighter than I expected, but the jimping at the base of the blade catches the index finger before the cutting edge comes down. It’s not quite as secure as having a proper choil but it does work. Just means I have to switch on a bit more when stropping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE