advice needed on vintage sewing machines and needles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
I know next to nothing about sewing machines. I Just acquired my mums old CWS Federation treadle machine (think it's similar to Jones machines). She reckons it's about 90 years old. Just put new belt on it and lubricated the mechanics and it seems to be running fine. It's got a needle in it but I want to buy some spares. I found an old empty packet of Singer 15 x 1 needles in the drawer. They have a flat sided shank. Googling has posed a few questions I hope someone can answer.

Are the 15x1 needles the right type?

Do they need to be flat sided (I see you can get round shanks too)

What needle gauges are best for ripstop nylon, denim or canvas

And how about thin leather - can you use the same needles or are there special ones for that?

Thanks

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Serious envy. Basically, if it's working OK then it's fine, there isn't a lot that goes wrong with them and provided the bearings haven't died then you're good to go.
If you take a close look at the hole where the needle goes you should be able to see if it has a flat side to it.
You can get leather needles and they are definitely worth it.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If you're fairly sure that the needle that's in there is the correct one for the machine, take it out and bring it to your local sewing shop; somebody there will tell you what type it is and you can then buy that type in many different gauges to suit the sort of job you want to do. Having the correct gauge of needle, i.e. Silk, mid weight cotton, denim, heavy canvas and leather, for the job at hand is essential for a productive time with the machine and good results right from the start...........same goes for thread, have a read on the web and buy and use the right thread for the job and you and the job will both be happy bunnies.

I'm not familiar with your particular machine but basic principles are true for them all, have a google around and you'll find some info and probably a user manual for yours, that's where all the info you need will be.

Treadle machines are great as they allow you both hands free to hold and move the work around, and they're really easy to get used to. Post again if you have problems, and to let us know how you get on with it :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've just had a quick look around and there's loads of info. on these if you search with your serial no. ready................They are in fact a Jones machine badged for the Co-op., so will be of a very good quality.....

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Thanks everyone. Mum said my gran bought it when they married but she never saw her use it. I remember mum using it when we were kids over 50 years ago. We used to play with the treadle. The belt was slipped off when not in use and we used to see how fast we could get it to spin the flywheel. It's built into a table affair with drawers. There's a flip out lid which will hold your material when sewing and I can't help thinking how useful that is compared to modern compact machines. It's very simple, just a lever by the handwheel that seems to adjust the stitch length and that's about it. There's a spare foot thingy which is shorter than the one fitted, not having the upturned "toe" part. Don't know what that would be used for.

Can't find anywhere on line where I can put the serial number in and find anything more though.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
I tried the search with the serial number but nothing came up. I went to the Jones link though and found a manual for a long shuttle machine which looks pretty much the same. So that will get me started. Also some good stuff on Youtube on how to thread etc. Really basic stuff but essential if you haven't done it before. Can't wait to have a crack at it now. Thanks everyone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE