Advice needed - monocular or binoculars?

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
When I'm out and about I'd like to be able to look at birds and stuff in the distance. I want something small and light so was thinking about monoculars although I've seen lots of tiddly small binoculars.
Which is best and can anyone recommend a good model and make as I'd like to avoid wasting my money.
Thanks all.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used to find I never had my bins with me when I wanted them. I asked the same questions on here a while back (you might be able to find the thread). I ended up buying an Opticron 8x20 gallery scope (monocular). About the same size as a marker pen. It lives in my belt pouch now and is alwys there when I want it - I'm delighted with it - we were using it watching a Hare this weekend - really good bit of kit

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I have a decent set binoculars and find I close one eye to look at detail, I always seem to get double vision and problems with focus being slightly out. They are great for sweeping round but I think choosing again I would go for a monocular.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Heinnie have one of this

6x18
WIT-106-618-4.jpg

and this

6x30
WIT-106-630-20.jpg

Don't know how good they are but they are quite cheap.

If I go out with optics, this is what I bring

Meade ETX90
ETX90spot.jpg

Doesn't fit in the pocket thought :D

singteck

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I prefer binoculars over monocular. It is much easier to find the object you are looking for with binoculars.

My preference is also towards low power. For the same money you will buy better quality low power optics which give a sharper image work better in low light and are less affected by shake and quicker to focus.

I have a binoculars made by Inpro 6x18 field 7.5 waterproof. They are virtually “focus free” which saves a lot of time. I got them on Ebay for a few quid. I find them to be as good as my "big" 8x30 binos.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Goose said:
I have a decent set binoculars and find I close one eye to look at detail, I always seem to get double vision and problems with focus being slightly out. They are great for sweeping round but I think choosing again I would go for a monocular.
That sounds like a fault, probably in the alignment, it should be fixeable if they weren't always like that. With good bins you should always be able to use both eyes, after all that's the point. I got a (backup) set of the Lidl's cheapies and have exactly the same problem with them as you describe. My Bushnell's, Natureview, at about £130 new, are in a completely different league. Having looked through some more expensive ones again I can see the attraction of paying hundreds for them since they are another step up again.

I can see the attraction of monoculars in terms of volume/weight, but I find that a good pair of bins adds so much more to being outdoors, and are essential for bird watching, or mammals at dusk, that I consider them an essential bit of kit.

I just did a quick google and found a great deal on natureview's here 8x42's for £89.95 and 10x42's for £99.95. No link with the company, except I have bought from them before.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Justin Time said:
That sounds like a fault, probably in the alignment, it should be fixeable if they weren't always like that. With good bins you should always be able to use both eyes, after all that's the point. I got a (backup) set of the Lidl's cheapies and have exactly the same problem with them as you describe. My Bushnell's, Natureview, at about £130 new, are in a completely different league. Having looked through some more expensive ones again I can see the attraction of paying hundreds for them since they are another step up again.

I can see the attraction of monoculars in terms of volume/weight, but I find that a good pair of bins adds so much more to being outdoors, and are essential for bird watching, or mammals at dusk, that I consider them an essential bit of kit.

I just did a quick google and found a great deal on natureview's here 8x42's for £89.95 and 10x42's for £99.95. No link with the company, except I have bought from them before.
I think the fault is more in the way I use them, they get passed from person to person in group settings so when I get them back I always need to sort out the focus. I usually don't have the patience so just close one eye! I have set them up properly and they are good but I still have problems keeping a single image sometimes, but it might be me more than the bins :eek: .

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I was always brought up to believe that you should use Binoculars to find and a telescope to observe...

LS

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
boisdevie said:
When I'm out and about I'd like to be able to look at birds and stuff in the distance. I want something small and light so was thinking about monoculars although I've seen lots of tiddly small binoculars.
Which is best and can anyone recommend a good model and make as I'd like to avoid wasting my money.
Thanks all.

Whichever you go for choose the best that you can afford, because if yuou do not you will very soon be disappointed with them once you have tried a better model. My preference is for binoculars as I find it frustrating to be only using the one eye.. As someone else said You can find the thing you wish to study much quicker with binoculars than a monocular. Keep your eye on the object and bring the binoculars up between your eyes and the object , this is the best way towork it. Also do not go for a large magnification as you will have a very small field of view.[like looking through a keyhole] instead of looking through a porthole.
You will also loose a lot of light gathering power, and images will be a lot dimmer toward dusk or early in the day I have wasted a lot of cash over a lifetime trying to get the best I can and there is always a compromise between size and quality, toosmall and this limits your light and to some extent clarity. Toobib and you find them tiring to hold as well as a weight round your neck after a while . I would say do without till you can spend £100 + rather than go for anything less.
The Bushnell mentioned by someone else are very goodat £!20 I have finally
ended going for the Bushnell 8x28 Excursion which I think will not be beaten for quality at £300 I know this is a lot of money if you are not a professional which I am not But I would never have believed how much better they could be
than either less expensive Zeiss or the Bushnell Natureview at £120 I would never have concidered paying this for binoculars if I did not spend a large part of my life out of doors in the countryside and enjoying nature.
I hope this is of help.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
ludlowsurvivors said:
I was always brought up to believe that you should use Binoculars to find and a telescope to observe...

LS

Hmm, not so good for wood warblers.... I can see some settings where that would be useful, and I've done my fair share of carting round bins, scope and tripod but it's rare these days that I take the scope out... never really got into sea watching

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE