Advice needed: Estate car purchase, economical but big enough to sleep in!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Citroen Berlingo Multispace thing.
My wife has one (the 1.9 version) and its got loads of space in it, sliding back passenger doors, more headroom for the driver than my transit van and the seats fold flat.
Better than (low roof) estate cars in my opinion.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
Hi GJC.

I would heartily recommend the Honda CRV V-tec Estate.
The engines are extremely reliable and quite economical.
Spares are easy and cheap to get hold of, if needed.
Had mine over some very rough ground, and over ploughed fields too.
Seats fold down in the back.
Wait for this.....it even comes with a picnic table under the rear cover:)

Lots on you tube to look at....here's a good clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsErGA5mpFg

The addition of all terrain tyres adds to the overall off road performance if you need off road that is.

I drive a CR-V from 2008. I've only had it about 8 months but completely love it.

Massive load space, back seats are comfortable for 3 adults, 40 mpg in the diesel, competent off road and in snow or icy conditions, cheap to insure, reliable.

Tyres can be expensive but they last for ages, my aircon stopped working and I feared it was a compressor issue which is well documented online however it was a relay, £25 for the part and £15 for labour. I could have plugged it in myself but at the end of the day £40 isn't the biggest hit I've ever taken on vehicular maintenance!!!!

I've taken the family with a weeks worth of food and clothing plus three kids bikes away to the caravan in her. I've driven through a working quarry in winter where the water was deep enough to set off the parking sensors, up ramps designed for diggers, across muddy fields etc etc. As a bonus the boot lid lifts up, can be used to sit in or change under in rainy conditions as long as you park facing the right way :)

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire
I drive a CR-V from 2008. I've only had it about 8 months but completely love it.

Massive load space, back seats are comfortable for 3 adults, 40 mpg in the diesel, competent off road and in snow or icy conditions, cheap to insure, reliable.

Tyres can be expensive but they last for ages, my aircon stopped working and I feared it was a compressor issue which is well documented online however it was a relay, £25 for the part and £15 for labour. I could have plugged it in myself but at the end of the day £40 isn't the biggest hit I've ever taken on vehicular maintenance!!!!

I've taken the family with a weeks worth of food and clothing plus three kids bikes away to the caravan in her. I've driven through a working quarry in winter where the water was deep enough to set off the parking sensors, up ramps designed for diggers, across muddy fields etc etc. As a bonus the boot lid lifts up, can be used to sit in or change under in rainy conditions as long as you park facing the right way :)

These CR-vs are sounding like a good buy.

What kind of cash are we talking about? I think My budget is £2,000 tops.

Thanks!

gjclayton

Forager
Sep 24, 2012
Bedfordshire

PS: Whats the insurance like? I'm getting £700 at best.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
I forgot to say though, my seats don't fold down completely flat. they do lift forwards though, but they don't fold flush into the floor or anything.

Still sleepable if that's a word!! Wasn't something I required though so it wasn't a consideration at the time of purchase.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...just a quickie....dunno if you could get a decent one for that price range but we recently changed from a bmw 1 series to an estate mondeo zetec and i'm in love with it....massive!

s

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've had a few estate cars over the years, al have been used to carry my stuff to shows as well as being slept in. If you've ever seen me demonstrating at a show, then you will know of the amount that can be crapped into the below examples, normally with the ability to see through the rear window! Until the current (soon to be most recent ex) one I had only ever spent up to £1500.

I've had:
Vauxhall Vectra. 1.9l. comfy enough, very basic and cheap to repair/insure/run. Not the most spacious I've had but plenty good enough.
Vauxhall Omega 2.5 turbo. HUGE!! The biggest car internally that I have had, lots of power for load carrying but a sod to get some parts for. Great car though.
As above, but 2L automatic and petrol (all other cars are diesel). Not as economical or quick as the turbo diesel
Volvo 850, 2.1L (?). Very long car, but not as much space and the Omegas (had to chop 10" off poles that fitted omega). Comfy, reliable, saved my life when a lorry took me off the M25
Suburu Outlander 2.5L Very comfy ride (devon to essex with no stops), 4 wheel drive, but pricey to insure and even more pricey to repair!
Pergeot 406 (or 408?) 2L, Very big inside, looks and steers like a battle ship. I got a lemon, but friends have them and say they are real work horses.
Ford Mondeo 2L. Very comfy ride, surprisingly large amounts of space, economical, cheapish to repair (especially if you work on it).

My current one is the Mondeo and is cost me £2200 4 years ago and has only had breaks and the like replaced. The previous cars (all under £1600) lasted a year on average before something major went. I'm looking into repairing or scrapping it next week as it is due for an MOT and the power steering pump has gone, as well as the end of my exhaust dropping off at the moot! The cars I'm looking into now include another Mondeo and a Skoda Octavia, but my budget will be a little larger as this experiment has shown me that a bit more spent on the car can pay dividends. Hopefully!

Each time I replace a car I go through the Estate vs MPV vs 4x4 decision. I always come back to the estate from a practicality point of view. They are most economical to run, both in terms of fuel and the insurance. The taller vehicles like the MPVs and 4x4s are more effected by side winds and more prone to reversing into bollards/rocks. 4x4s are useful if you are off roading, but they are more expensive to run and repair as well as lacking the length internally that I need to stick 2m tables in (unless you get into the monster truck disco type things). I take my cars through muddy fields and up silly hills in all weathers (I live on Dartmoor), a set of snow tyres has seen my old Vectra climb hills that a bloke in some poncy 4x4 was struggling to decend with his road tyres on a few winters ago, they also work wonders in wet/slick fieds

Just some of my experiences, take it or leave it as you will :) I'm a 36 year old male with some years no claims and I spend my whole time needing to put long or heavy loads in the car and then travelling off the tarmac.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
+1 for the Peugeot 406' durability and spaciousness. I drove one for a few years in the long distance taxi trade, (airports & cruise terminii, generally with loads of luggage.) That motor was driven day and night, not just by me, and had clocked up 485k when it dropped a big end, which mileage it covered in under 5 years. I found it, and Peugeots in general very comfortable drives for long distances.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
a bit outside of the £1500 budget then ;)

My housemate tried to convince me to get a new dacia when I started looking around for a car to replace my current one as it headed towards the MOT. Yes £7 to start. BUT that's £7 without VAT and if you want a tiny petrol engine and less frills than a £500 fiesta! By the time it got to sensible spec for me (baring in mind I don't want fancy o comfy, just practical) it as already £15K and then it wasn't big enough anyway!

btw. The mondeo failed the mot, but has been put back on the road after a £500 repair. So although it cost me £2K 3 years ago, it will live to fight another day :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE