Advice for small family picnic setup.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Evening All,

Right this isn't strictly Bushcraft related but as the kit I am looking for is all regularly used in the hobby I thought this the best place to post.

Me and the family (SWMBO, daughter of 3 years, and daughter of 5 months) went out for a lovely picnic today at a nearby national trust site/woodland and have decided I need some kit :)

I'm very new to "Bushcraft" and have so far concentrated on wood carving and some crafty bits, so have very little gear.

I'll post my list of requirements below and hopefully you can give me some ideas.

As always there is a catch, it must all be cheap/budget kit;

Small shelter/tarp/tent for when it's blowy and/or hot and sunny. Maybe a poncho and pole?

Small brewkit (probably go DIY for the stove) and something to boil water in only needs to be big enough for a couple of brews and maybe a tin or sausages (not together :eek: )SWMBO will be in charge of cups/mugs.

Decent quality frame type baby carrier, the fact we had the buggy today made it difficult/impossible to take certain routes. Probably go second hand as a quick browse shows they are pretty expensive.

I'll be carrying baby in the carrier so the kit needs to fit on my person elsewhere or be split between myself and SWMBO (she will also be in charge of food transportation which is normally a Tesco bag for life) although we never stray too far from the car so I might get a small folding trolley and add a couple of picnic chairs to the list?

That's all for now ;) I'll add more as I think of it.

Most of this kit we also double up as my bimble bag/day out in the woods kit.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Jon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive got a baby carrier to sell if your interested pm me and ill dig out the model tomorrow evening it is a real good one macpack brand.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
For a quick easy shelter try the fishing/beach shelters. If you get one with the zip door that lets down as a ground sheet in front it will give you extra sitting room.
For pans/tins try looking in Wilcos (other shops are available) - stainless tea/sugar containers make good billys.
Asda do cheap (£1) non stick sponge tins that make good frying pans.
Also get a pan handle or a thick glove.
Boot fairs and charity shops are a good source of kit.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Find a spot that doesn't need chairs, logs rocks etc. Or use a picnic blanket, it is somewhere to place the five month old. I taught mine about fire with a lit candle. About the stage of shoving the world in their mouths hold them tight on the lap put a lit candle out of arms reach. Second adult goes to touch flame and says ouch. Your toddler will have daft moments but should know quite early if something is lit it is sit still time. There is some pretty small camping stoves, I used a folding army cooker and firelighters when mine were little. If I used a gas cooker it was staked to the floor incase little legs forgot to sit still or clumsy mum kn9cked it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
http://www.wilko.com/camping/wilko-beach-shelter/invt/0331536?VBMST=camping

http://www.wilko.com/camping/wilko-cook-set-5-piece-silver-effect/invt/0342431?VBMST=camping

http://www.wilko.com/camping/wilko-stove-compact/invt/0299806?VBMST=camping

Buy online and collect from your local store = no delivery charges

Instore are good offers on gas, 2 for £6 on @250g and 2 for £8 @480g butane/propane mix canisters. The little stove is a really good little burner, boils fast and simmers very well.

£26 and job done. I use the beach shelter with my two grand children (16 month and 6 years) and they think its great fun :)

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the replies. The Wilko stuff looks ideal think that's probably what I'll get.

JonE

Forager
Apr 11, 2014
Oxfordshire
Thanks, I saw the thread for the Lidl tarp earlier and wondered if it might make a decent/more flexible alternative to the beach shelter but I'm guessing the beach shelter will be easier and quicker to put up and down and probably pack smaller and lighter?

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I cant do links but these shelters look ok at the price.
On a well known auction site ---- Black Zero day shelter, sports direct £18
and ---- Fishing/Angling Shelter/Bivvy £12:70
and lots of others.

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
Thanks, I saw the thread for the Lidl tarp earlier and wondered if it might make a decent/more flexible alternative to the beach shelter but I'm guessing the beach shelter will be easier and quicker to put up and down and probably pack smaller and lighter?

I don't have a lidl shade sail to compare, but all the cheap beach tents I've used went up pretty easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE