Advice for 'lapland' in December?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hi all,

It looks like we may be taking a trip to 'Lapland' in December this year, as some freinds of ours have decided to get married there. As of yet I have no details on the location or when in December...

Anyone have any ideas of what to expect - I'm hoping that we'll get a reasonable amount of time to ourselves outside of the wedding celebrations, and am hoping to at least get some Nordic skiing in - Andy wants to go dog sledding and snow-mobiling, of course!

It's just occurred to me that I may also get the chance to test out the new hammock underquilt (so, Wanderinstar, I won't have to rent out that freezer after all!)... :D

I'll pass on more details when I get them - but if anyone knows the general location that may be helpful... :)

Cheers,

ODG

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
It depends on where the wedding take place. On the coast of northern Norway where I live, you could expect bad, windy weather, snow and everything from -2 to -15 degrees celsius (and some years even rain).
But if the wedding take place inland or in Finland or Sweden, expect temperatures way below that (-20 to -40). But they generally have better weather.
In december it is dark with very few ours of daylight (depends on how far north you are).

Tor

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
outdoorgirl said:
Hi all,

It looks like we may be taking a trip to 'Lapland' in December this year, as some freinds of ours have decided to get married there. As of yet I have no details on the location or when in December...

Anyone have any ideas of what to expect - I'm hoping that we'll get a reasonable amount of time to ourselves outside of the wedding celebrations, and am hoping to at least get some Nordic skiing in - Andy wants to go dog sledding and snow-mobiling, of course!

It's just occurred to me that I may also get the chance to test out the new hammock underquilt (so, Wanderinstar, I won't have to rent out that freezer after all!)... :D

I'll pass on more details when I get them - but if anyone knows the general location that may be helpful... :)

Cheers,

ODG

Well, at that time of the year it will be nearly no light, the sun will not come up and you have at noon a kind of greyish light, you get reflection light from the snow if the sky is open, snowy or cloudy you can get it quite dark. We have light at the time but very little, maybe 3 hours a day.

Probably there will be 2 meters of snow, if you are lucky you will see the northern lights. It can get stormy and very cold. The average is about minus 12 and at night minus 20 but we can get minus 35 and more. I dont think sleeping in a hammock is a good idea.

Get the best winter cloth you can, learn about winter survival! Go to my webpage on the Booktips second and you find some very very good winter bushcraft book tips.

If you go out with a snowmaschine, drive with several maschines, dont go alone with only one maschine, drive only routes which are marked and counted as safe for tourists. Tell the people when you will leave and when you are back and them where you want to go and which route you plan to take. Have survival equipment with you, learn about Survival shelters. You have to have a gps and knowleadge how to use it. Keep the batteries warm, have several back up batteries with you, not in the backback but near to your body. I heard about a guy which warms them up in his underpants. Know how to use map and compass too.

Dangers are here to go through the ice with the scooter, get into a blizzard and freeze to death. Now if you have several snow maschines, stay on the marked routes, tell the people where you will go and learned about winter surival then you will have a great time. Prepare yourself and study about the north!!!

1.5 years ago a Sami boy drove with his snowmaschine on a lake which was not safe. Why was it not safe? Because it was a regulated Lake, a lake where the energy company is able to change the amount of water in the lake. He drove on a lake where the water was lowered after it build first a frozen cover. Now he broke through the ice, a snowstorm came up and he didnt find his cabin.
He died 600 meters away from his cabin.

A GPS could have safed his live. He knew about the danger of the lake but ignored his knowleadge. Now, if you stay with the marked routes you are fine.
Last year two tourist fell 100 meter down a cliff with their scooters, why?
Snowstorm, fast off route driving being simply stupid!

A guy nearly died because he walked away from his tourist buss to check out the scenery and take a pee. He didnt think that he would get lost without a jacket and a hat on, it was minus 20 degrees when resquers found him laying on a off track forest road, being unconcous. He made it and survived but only just.

Ok, I think you got the point. Get knowleadge and be carefull and you will have a great time up here. My area is Gällivare, you might be lower down the south but still my advive for you will fit your situation.

yours
Abbe

You should have a great time!
My wife & I went to Finland last January. We stayed in a log cabin in Levi, Finlands main skiing resort, so not exactly a bushcraft trip. But we did some great things. Reindeer sleigh rides, snowmobiling, dog-sledding (just hang on for grim death) & snow-shoeing. There was nordic skiing available & we'll probably go for that next time after a trip or two to the Snow Dome in Tamworth for some lessons!
Fantastic place & would thoroughly reccomend it.....

www.levi.fi

:D :D :D

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Thanks all for the comments so far - Abbe, your response is fantastic, I'm so impressed! I didn't seriously think that the hammocking would be feasible - it was a bit of a joke between me and Wanderinstar... :)

Well, I now have details from the bride-to-be - the dates are 3-10 Dec, and we will be flying to Kittila, near to Levi in Finland. We will either be staying in a hotel (K5) or in a chalet. The website for the hotel and chalet looks good, there is plenty of x-country skiing and other activities, so I'm sure we'll have a good time!

Labrador - do you recall how much these extra activities were when you went? We will be on a half board basis, but I expect to have to pay for anything outside the hotel.

Cheers all,

ODG

Hi Outdoorgirl,
great choice of destination!
the activities weren't too expensive but don't quote me on that. The dog-sledding was the most expensive but they do pick you up from outside the tourist info office. Snowmobiles can be rented from loads of places in Levi, we used the one next to the TI office again as it was the closest to us (we stayed at the Immelmokit chalets). The reindeer sleigh ride made for a very pleasant afternoon but you need to get a taxi to the Lapp village.
Ski & Snow-shoe rental was dirt cheap as the main rental place is run by the resort as a whole (council?) & is located at the bottom of the main piste in Levi.
If you are booking your own accomodation try what we did, that is looking on the internet & ringing them (they all speak better English than we do), we got a fantastic deal, much cheaper than booking it through Inghams. You should also be able to fly from Birmingham.
If I remember rightly the prices were all accessible through the Levi website but if not, e-mail the Levi tourist info office & ask as they will do all your bookings as well.
Its a great place, reindeer for dinner, cheaper than Sweden or Norway & handmade Lapp Puuko knives & kuuksas for sale everywhere!
There are a couple of good circular routes for snowmobile treks that will take two or three hours that are worth a look (the rental place will give you a map) & you may also like to try the ice-fishing as you can book a trip to do this as well.
Hope this is of use to you, the Ski season doesn't really get underway until February (daylight), thats why we went in January, it's cheaper!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE