Advice for cutting round nails

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have a set of cutters that are like a small pair of bolt cutters in style but the blades cross like a pair of scissors. No idea what it's proper name is but it will go through mild steel like butter - just the job for what you need .

Sorry I can't be of more help than that - if i can fine a link i'll post it

they sound like tinsnips like these
tin_snips.jpg

Rory McCanuck

Dec 25, 2009
Manitoba, Canada
If you want a tool that will be of some use after the job is done, you could use Vise-Grips.
http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100317
These have a cutter that works well, although it does take some hand strength.
Don't scrimp on these. If it isn't Vice-Grip brand, don't buy them, they're carp!
Having said all that, the mini bolt cutters that Dave Budd suggested would be the easiest to use for this, and having 600 to do would make it worthwhile.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If there is any chance that you will ever want the same tool again, buy quality and only buy once.
Knipex make the best cutters I've ever used and they last for ever. These will make very light work of a 3mm nail. I carry my own set of these when pike fishing with jerk-baits. They'll cut a big 4/0 treble hook shank no problem. (Far, far tougher than any nail I can promise you. Hooks are made of high tensile steel)

http://www.amazon.com/Knipex-7102200-8-Inch-Action-Mini-Bolt/dp/B000X4KOKE

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Again thanks for all your suggestions.

I will point out that I won't be cutting them to length before using. each one will be pushed through the material, then the metal plate, then cut as close to the plate as possible and then priened over before moving onto the next one.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I think what would serve you best, if I understand what you are doing is a pair of farrier's horse shoe nail nippers. They cut right on the end, rather than the side and would probably be better for you. They are made specifically for cutting nails. They appear to cut with little effort, due to the relatively long handles which gives lots of leverage. Might be worth a look.

http://valleyfarrier.com/cart/shop/category.asp?catid=74

Obviously, this particular set is expensive, but I have seen dozens of these tools in rummage sales, farm sales, second hand stores, etc.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Any blacksmith or farrier should be able to tell you where to get these tools. Anyone who is shoeing horses has to have one to nip off the excess nails after driving them through the hoof.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
As a update, I accidentlly visited Wickes last weekend and came across a box of suitable nails and found some end nippers. Carried out a test and after the cut nail wizzed across the floor decided that'll do:) and bought them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE