advice for canvas pack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Right currently have a craving for a canvas/waxed cotten day pack. The problem being im finding it hard to find the right one for me.... Currently have a berghaus munro which i like with a few mods.

Is there a canvas one like the munro? Ideally with removable or fitted side pouches? Ive looked at frost river and they seem rather expensive.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm like a stuck record- but frost river are unbelievably good packs. I've had mine for approaching a year- had heavy use and lots of trips with it. Fantastic pack. It is expensive- but you get what you pay for and it's a lifetime pack. Solid brass fittings, 18oz canvas and thick leather straps add to the cost but essentially thats the reason you'd buy it, and it is superbly made. I'd definitely go that route again- other alternative I guess would be surplus army?

Hope this helps! :)

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
One problem with frost rivers packs is that ive not seen them in the flesh so not sure if it would suit.

Annoyingly as ive been thinking about it ive a few ideas on what would be ideal/nice so finding a pack like that may be impossible to find.

The arkaig looks interesting but lacks a pouch. Hate having to open the main pack to get a water bottle out

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
One problem with frost rivers packs is that ive not seen them in the flesh so not sure if it would suit.

Annoyingly as ive been thinking about it ive a few ideas on what would be ideal/nice so finding a pack like that may be impossible to find

Yes- I bought mine blind, but woodland ways world of bushcraft shop,will probably have them in from time to time(especially if you ask) and they're very helpful folk too- they'd help you make the right choice.

And I do that too sometimes- dream up,something perfect then realise it doesn't exist :eek:.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Right currently have a craving for a canvas/waxed cotten day pack. The problem being im finding it hard to find the right one for me.... Currently have a berghaus munro which i like with a few mods.

Is there a canvas one like the munro? Ideally with removable or fitted side pouches? Ive looked at frost river and they seem rather expensive.

I've got a Duluth wanderer, makesma great day pack, not removable pockets but am good choice and size.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hmm pretty much what i have aleady.... The munros modded to accept side pouches. But i have a hankering for canvas....
No rush though, was looking for advice as google foo only comes up with tiny fashion bags, duluth, frost river and over priced (imo) surplus packs

Old surplus canvas packs are good, but will never be as strong as Duluth, Frosts River, Rugged river. [IMO]
So on canoe trip, for instance, and giving a surplus pack some hammer, throwing it about, so to speak, rivets and stitching may well go.
Personally, I think its worth the investment, for a bombproof canvas sack.

I use a canvas day pack, in summer and carry roughly 6-7 kg, which is a nice weight, and Im fine for miles without a hip belt in a t-shirt. [Some of that is water, consumed on the journey.]

In winter, thick woolen clothing, jacket, walking slower, make the carry more comfortable, than just wearing a T-shirt, so I can add an extra couple of kilos on top of that.

Anything more than that, Id want my rucksack with a hip belt.

Thats just me. Other people with other bodies, will have different comfort and weight levels.

You gotta ask, what do need it for?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE