Advice/Comments about Webtex Bergans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I am thining about replcaing my 25 year old Karrimor Discovery, with something a bit larger, now it has finaly got to the stage of being worn out and i feel that I have had my moneys worth from it.

I am thinking of a Webtex 120ltr or the larger 135 ltr. but can not make up my mind, I think I would like it in OG , not DMP, I know they dont make the 135 in the OG, so realy looking for any comments/advice/ reviews on both those sacks.

If Get the 120Ltr ill be getting a sugpack responce pack to go with it as well.

Looking foward to your answers......

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
If you're just using it to minimise trips from the car rather than walking long distances then look at a surplus PLCE Bergen - I'll have mine at the meet this weekend (I think Jack has a Webtex one, though)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Web-Tex is absolute :censored:......wouldn't be so bad if it was cheap but their copies are often more expensive than the original issued gear. Their bergen is a very good example.

If you want a large OD pack then why not consider the Berghaus Vulcan.....as well built as the PLCE bergen & much more comfortable. You'll need the right back size though (1-4)
There are the Karrimor sabres too.you might consider.

If you do want an issue OG bergen then you will have to buy used either from a surplus store or the bay..

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
I had a Snugpak and found it cumbersome, no straps at the top to pull the pack forward towards your shoulder straps to keep it vertical.
My berghaus vulcan on the other hand is spot on when you buy the right back size.
Try Military mart, (No affiliation) they have them on there for £45.00.
I think a lot of people on here love the Berghaus Vulcan or the Karrimor Sabre.
I love them both!
Hope this helps.:)

Last edited:

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I have a Webtex standard bergan in black. It's alright and hasn't fallen to pieces. I have, though, only really used it for one backpacking trip. It fitted all of my kit but the top tension straps were so pants that they kept slipping back through the buckle as I walked. After every 5-10 minutes I had to ask my mate to tighten them up. Very uncomfortable due to that. Now thrown in the garage for emergencies.

Replaced by a Kifaru Zulu. No problems now.

Claudiasboris

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My son did his basic army training last year, & they were unofficialy told, "buy webtex kit, & we'll(the training staff)beat you up". He says the feed back is buy it, & you'll spend time fixing it, & money replacing it.

Rob

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Think you are best off steering clear of web-tex, think they were once owned by Mike Baldwin Casuals, better off with Lowe, Karrimor SF, or Bergahaus in no order of preference. Your spine, knees etc will thank you for it.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
well... thats supprised me..... thanks for the input not worth buying... I am glad I asked thank you, sounds like I may be looking at a surplus bergan

I'll keep my oey on this thread but i can see what way it is going already, it would be great to have a look at both at the weekend spandit, thanks for the offer.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I just use a carrier bag for my essentials....
IMAG0723.jpg

joking aside the snugpak rocket pak is really good for 1-2 nighters but i think its only about 80l...

garethw

Settler
Yep have to agree with other posters...
Lowe Alpine Salient, or Sting
Berghaus Vulcan
Or Issue Bergan

One for these should do you...

The Sting is a smaller pack but brilliant... You can get the Salient in DPM from thexmod at a good price.
Otherwise RVops has the Vulcan at a reasonable cost....

Endicotts is certainly worth a call to see what they =have in issue bergans or larger pack from alternate brands.

cheers
Gareth

V

ViamFec

These days, most people go straight for the cheapest price. Thirty years ago manufacturers would have been embarrassed to put out the shoddy junk that passes as tools and gear these days. Now many makers are forced into making crap because competition is now price based more than quality based.

So yeah, go ahead and keep buying Walmart and WebTex. But if you want stuff you can depend on I'd be more savvy than always going for the lowest prices.

You Get What You Pay For is generally good advice

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
JUst thought I would give my 2 pennys worth chaps, Im still new to this and unfortunately got sucked in by Webtex, thankfully only bought a few thns but all of them have failed at some point or another!! Even down to the ammo pouch flask I bought, on its 2nd wash the paint started washing off of it!!
Just for the record, when I look to replace my pack Im gonna be getting one of these -
http://www.militarymart.co.uk//load...aus-cyclops-vulcan-11-rucksack/prod_1883.html

Gets great reviews and it seems a good price!!! No affiliation blah blah.
Cheers
Steve

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Stu I'll have a Karrimore Sabre 70-100 with two 10 litre plce side pockets on at the meet, pans out at about 120 litres and adjusts up for a longer back (I'm 6ft 1). You're welcome to give it a try and see what you think.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Simon, Thank you for that, I'll have a try and see how it is, at the moment I am swinging between these two, but it will be good to see what else is on offer.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
JUst thought I would give my 2 pennys worth chaps, Im still new to this and unfortunately got sucked in by Webtex, thankfully only bought a few thns but all of them have failed at some point or another!! Even down to the ammo pouch flask I bought, on its 2nd wash the paint started washing off of it!!
Just for the record, when I look to replace my pack Im gonna be getting one of these -
http://www.militarymart.co.uk//load...aus-cyclops-vulcan-11-rucksack/prod_1883.html

Gets great reviews and it seems a good price!!! No affiliation blah blah.
Cheers
Steve

Just remember that the 45 pounds is without sidepockets - that'll add another 25 quid to the price. (A bit naughty of them to show the pic with sidepockets!) Even so, not at all bad.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE