Adventure 1000 - In 2015

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Sorry but i've not heard or read about anything as daft in a long long time.

If i read it right you set up a new account with the bank that probably sponsors this person and then create a standing order to pay 20 per week into it?

Seems like a lot of headache just to save some money, why not just save 20 quid per month and leave it in your current acount

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
United Kingdom, Near Hinckley
Nah, no money is going to anyone but me, I have an old account which I stopped using and am putting the money in there. No sponsoring or money going to anyone else.

I find for budgeting it is better to have different accounts, rather than just one savings account.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So After making some savings here and there, I decided to start putting away £20 a week as inspired by Adventure 1000

http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/adventure1000/

So I know I will have about a grand, will only be able to get a week off work. The other details I am working on at the moment. Would be interesting to hear if anyone else is doing the same and welcome suggestions.

Not doing it quite the same, but I have been following Alastair's microadventure's for the last year or so. He's really pushing simple adventures to people who would never have considered it before.

As for the 1000, I'm not saving it up the same way, but with similar aspirations.

Sorry but i've not heard or read about anything as daft in a long long time.

If i read it right you set up a new account with the bank that probably sponsors this person and then create a standing order to pay 20 per week into it?

Seems like a lot of headache just to save some money, why not just save 20 quid per month and leave it in your current acount

Oh how I delight in all manifestations of the grumpy scepticism. Reminds me of how people reacted to Nick Weston's Tree House diaries.

You will find that most people who try to keep their bank balance 20 quid higher at the end of the month than it was at the start fail. It also gets very little interest. Having a monthly standing order to an account that you don't usually do your monthly shopping out of greatly increases your chances of saving the money. If you really want to make sure you don't blow it by accident, you can even put the first 6 months worth into a 6 month bond, and it will be ready when you need it.

I personally think that Alastair's suggestions that by going without your morning starbucks is a very simple way of solving the age old excuse for not going on and adventure: "I've got no money". Bravo to him.

In the mean time I would also request that you actually read up a bit more on what the guy's been doing. Get his book out the library (see, that doesn't even get him any money). Then ask yourself, when was the last time you took someone on their first ever adventure? When did you last introduce someone to the hills for the first time? It's very easy for us to sit at our keyboards and knock those who are trying to do something.

Nah, no money is going to anyone but me, I have an old account which I stopped using and am putting the money in there. No sponsoring or money going to anyone else.

I find for budgeting it is better to have different accounts, rather than just one savings account.

Me too, I find it a lot easier to budget if the money isn't in my account. If you want an extra boost to your adventure fund, at the end of the week when you empty your pockets to put the clothes in the washing machine, put the coins you find in a mug/pot/tin on the shelf. You will find that despite never remembering putting anything bigger than a 20p piece in there, it magically contains 80 quid (about the usual capacity for a pint glass full of random change).

But, I digress. You want ideas of an adventure, that takes 7 days, and costs just 1000 pounds.

Assuming you decide to allocate the funds as ⅓rd transport ⅓rd equipment ⅓rd food and other costs. You could get to most of the UK in that region, get a pretty good light weight pack, and if you're fit, walk a good 150 miles in your week. Maybe Ullapool to Cape Wrath? Maybe walk the channel island way? Walk the West highland way? You could hire a canoe and island hop round the outer Hebrides, Row an open boat to ST Kilda, walk the Hadrian's wall coast to coast...

And that's just some ideas in the UK. You could take a train to Sweden and canoe down a river... walk for a week in the Andorran Pyrinees... climb the Matterhorn... swim the channel... cycle to Rome...

So many options. You almost get option paralysis just thinking about it.

Perhaps, to narrow down the option pool, some questions:

1) Preferred distance:
- Something in the UK
- Something in Europe
(in a week, getting anywhere else is going to be tight)

2) Preferred mode of locomotion:
- Walk
- Canoe
- Cycle
- Sail

3) Do you want to go solo, or invite a friend?

Answer those three questions and you're on the first step to planning your adventure.

Just don't forget your microadventure's while you are planning your big adventure.

Julia

Last edited:

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
Oh I haven't forgot micro adventures, I got the book yesterday (even a freebie for pre ordering it too) and have been following Alastair Humpheys online. I'm surprised no one has started a thread on the microadventures book. I was going to but thought I might come over a bit too keen :)

Different accounts set aside for different things help, being a dad, I tend to find I spend most of my money on the kids, but need find away to put aside a bit of money for me.

With the shift work I do, I sometimes get 3 days off between shift patterns and plan to fit in some training
I am looking at doing a couple of different walks, like
http://www.leics.gov.uk/round
http://www.nationalforestway.co.uk/

Also looking at getting to the local canoe club to build up my skills

The other option is I might do a smaller adventure next year, then plan something bigger for 2016 as that year I hit the four zero in age.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Oh I haven't forgot micro adventures, I got the book yesterday (even a freebie for pre ordering it too) and have been following Alastair Humpheys online. I'm surprised no one has started a thread on the microadventures book. I was going to but thought I might come over a bit too keen :)

I thought about it too, but a) my copy hasn't arrived yet via the local library, and b) I didn't want to give people the opportunity to fire abuse at the guy, which IME, is the result when ever anyone puts their head above the parapet and writes something.

Different accounts set aside for different things help, being a dad, I tend to find I spend most of my money on the kids, but need find away to put aside a bit of money for me.

I wish you luck. Finding the funding for a trip is the hardest part. We could do trips so much cheaper if our trains weren't so damn expensive..

With the shift work I do, I sometimes get 3 days off between shift patterns and plan to fit in some training
I am looking at doing a couple of different walks, like
http://www.leics.gov.uk/round
http://www.nationalforestway.co.uk/

Also looking at getting to the local canoe club to build up my skills

The other option is I might do a smaller adventure next year, then plan something bigger for 2016 as that year I hit the four zero in age.

There is a lot of milage in that plan. Assuming the ⅓rds budget split I mentioned, you would have the kit you need for the '16 trip from the '15 trip, which reduces the cost nicely.

Damn you for adding the national forest way to my list of adventures to do. Have you considered offas dyke ? Pennine way?

Julia

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
Pennine way is on my list to do too
I'm printing out the guide book for Hadrian's wall now, I'm a English Heritage member, so it ties in well

I'm also looking at ways to save money as I might be able to tie the trip into when my girlfriend goes away with work, she sometimes gets sent to Scotland on expenses for a week and I could hitch a free ride. I could likely at least car share to Europe with Polish friends or other friends off on drives. Would be nice to someone to go on the adventure with, however having someone else reduces the flexibility which might reduce the ability to find bargains.
However I am trying to find someone near me for microadventures

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Pennine way is on my list to do too
I'm printing out the guide book for Hadrian's wall now, I'm a English Heritage member, so it ties in well

Hurrah, It' not a long walk, so stretching it to a week might be hard, but it should be quite affordable.

I'm also looking at ways to save money as I might be able to tie the trip into when my girlfriend goes away with work, she sometimes gets sent to Scotland on expenses for a week and I could hitch a free ride. I could likely at least car share to Europe with Polish friends or other friends off on drives. Would be nice to someone to go on the adventure with, however having someone else reduces the flexibility which might reduce the ability to find bargains.
However I am trying to find someone near me for microadventures

Twitter. Al regularly will pass on messages to all his followers for anyone looking for company on a microadventure. This morning I had an exchange via twitter with someone in London looking for a microadventure companion. I pointed out that you can get to Kent in 37 minutes, and have a good microadventure here.

Al really is very approachable and helpful, drop him a tweet.

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I reckon with wandering around the English Heritage sites and buying mead, I could stretch it out a bit :)
Kent is really nice, I've done a couple of courses with jack raven in the area and its lovely

That is true. Just remember, mead is heavy, and if you choose not to carry it any distance, you will increase the distance you travel dramatically :p

J

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Oh how I delight in all manifestations of the grumpy scepticism. Reminds me of how people reacted to Nick Weston's Tree House diaries.

Pretty fantastic week this week actually so absolutely no grumpiness at all from me :bigok::bigok:

You will find that most people who try to keep their bank balance 20 quid higher at the end of the month than it was at the start fail. It also gets very little interest. Having a monthly standing order to an account that you don't usually do your monthly shopping out of greatly increases your chances of saving the money. If you really want to make sure you don't blow it by accident, you can even put the first 6 months worth into a 6 month bond, and it will be ready when you need it.

Can't think of 1 person i know well that hasn't been able to save money, even if it's a couple of quid, just needs some self control.
Can't see how putting into a different account will solve a self control problem :dunno:

I personally think that Alastair's suggestions that by going without your morning starbucks is a very simple way of solving the age old excuse for not going on and adventure: "I've got no money". Bravo to him.

Personally i don't drink starbucks, but we all have to make financial sacrifices in some areas of our lives to fund others, that's just part of being a responsible adult as i see it.

In the mean time I would also request that you actually read up a bit more on what the guy's been doing. Get his book out the library (see, that doesn't even get him any money).

Are you still talking to me?
If so why on earth would i read the book of someone that comes up with what i believe is a daft idea?

Then ask yourself, when was the last time you took someone on their first ever adventure? When did you last introduce someone to the hills for the first time? It's very easy for us to sit at our keyboards and knock those who are trying to do something.

2 weeks ago :bigok:

Also just arranged to take a neighbour out for his first hike next week :bigok:

I'm not knocking anyone, i just think opening a new bank account JUST to save money that you're going to spend in the near future is a bit pointless.
Just put some money aside each week, if you don't like keeping money in the house then just don't empty your account each month.

For some this will be more difficult for others, but that's a finances problem not a self control problem and opening a new bank account certainly won't fix a finances problem.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can't think of 1 person i know well that hasn't been able to save money, even if it's a couple of quid, just needs some self control.
Can't see how putting into a different account will solve a self control problem :dunno:

Most people find that a savings account is a better place to put your savings rather than your main account. It avoids any chance of you accidentally spending it. Especially if you don't carry the card for it with you. It makes it a lot harder to say "oh, I'll spend that now, and put it back next payday" only to not do so next payday.

Personally i don't drink starbucks, but we all have to make financial sacrifices in some areas of our lives to fund others, that's just part of being a responsible adult as i see it.

Yep, but you would be surprised how many people don't realise things like this. A simple change, not having the morning coffee can be enough to change someone from "I don't have the money for an adventure" to "woo off I go!"

It may not apply to you, but for thousands of people, particularly younger people, it does.

Are you still talking to me?
If so why on earth would i read the book of someone that comes up with what i believe is a daft idea?

I don't think his ideas are daft. I think they are very sensible. They may not apply to you, but I don't think that makes them any less of an interest to others.

2 weeks ago :bigok:

Also just arranged to take a neighbour out for his first hike next week :bigok:

I'm not knocking anyone, i just think opening a new bank account JUST to save money that you're going to spend in the near future is a bit pointless.
Just put some money aside each week, if you don't like keeping money in the house then just don't empty your account each month.

I disagree with you completely. Opening another account is one of the best ways of managing your savings.

For some this will be more difficult for others, but that's a finances problem not a self control problem and opening a new bank account certainly won't fix a finances problem.

No, I think it's a self control one for many. See previous statement regarding "I'll use this now, I'll pay it back to myself next month" If it's not easily accessible, you don't do that, and thus you resolve the temptation to use it short term.

J

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I think it's one of those things we'll have to agree to disagree over, i would like to say 2 things though please.

1/ I am stunned that grown adults do not posses the self control not to spend money (not on emergency things) they intend to put aside to save.
Seems very very odd to me that folks like that can get through life.

Again i'm not talking about having no spare money to save, that's completely different, i'm talking about folks that are able to have a few quid left at the end of the month, intend to save for something but can't.

2/ If someone have to use some thinly veiled trick like this to put a bit of money aside then i think it's an extremely bad idea to blow that money (what will likely be their only savings if i'm understanding this correctly) on something as frivolous as a trip or adventure.

Health emergencies, work problems and various unexpected expense like car or house repairs or replacing a faulty appliance like a cooker are all things i've had happen in my life and i would have had major problems if i didn't have some savings to tide me through.

We all share a passion for the outdoors here so it's not going to take much to persuade most of us to go on a trip or adventure, but in my mind it rates lower in my priorities than my financial responsibilities and security.

Maybe i'm alone in this, but for me i personally take responsibility for exactly what i spend, save or invest, it's absolutely my choice how and what i spend my money on, if i have a few quid left at the end of the month then i find i have enough self control to not spend it.
Again it might just be i'm a bit weird but if someone does not have the self control enough to not save a few quid that's left at the end of the month then i think they should talk to someone about that because that's a major major part of growing up and becoming a responsible adult in my opinion, and having to result to pretty weak tricks to save a few quid for a trip or adventure rates pretty low in comparison against sorting out a mental compulsion to spend.

Sorry if that offends anyone, in all honesty that's not my intention, i write it in hope that folks read it and realise it's not normal to have a compulsion to spend every last penny each month.

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
I have in the past, had to download by statements for a year and organise them in a spread sheet, dividing things up between business expenses, house, transport and other outgoings. Obviously bank statements only show the amount and where it was spent, so you have to dig through the shoebox (why is it always a shoebox?)of receipts to confirm what was spent on what. That was a headache, creating a new account and standing orders is easy, quick and very common these days.

Lets just assume that everyone, like myself who would be interested in saving up for an adventure and can say afford star bucks coffee, has the essentials covered, their finances or self control is not relevant to the subject. Then we can get back to the original subject of the post, which is idea's for a bush craft adventure on a bush craft forum.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Lets just assume that everyone, like myself who would be interested in saving up for an adventure and can say afford star bucks coffee, has the essentials covered, their finances or self control is not relevant to the subject. Then we can get back to the original subject of the post, which is idea's for a bush craft adventure on a bush craft forum.

Well put.

So, where to go for an adventure...

South west coast path?

Hiking in the ardenne?

I suppose all the suggestions I've made are more travel type adventures than Bushcraft ones. Without wanting to hijack the thread with a "what is bushcraft?" discussion, what would you class as a bushcraft adventure...?

Canoing in the swedish wilderness (I know I suggested this already) ?

J

Idleknight

Forager
Aug 14, 2013
Forgot to update this. Due various issues we did not do the hike. In the end we changed to a driving holiday and drove around the ring road of Iceland. Missed doing something more on foot, but my GFs health was not up to joining me for that. I do want to go back and do the trail, but I am happy we got to travel the whole of Iceland and can now go back and focus on smaller areas.

This years Adventure1000 fund has already paid for a week long bushcraft course in Scotland.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But by doing that you have seen an interesting part of the world few people will ever see.

(If I had a grand it would go on summer living expenses...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE