Ad-vice wanted

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi Guys,

I am thinking of building a simple worktable by splitting a largish log and flattening down the to, a bit like this but on a smaller scale with legs rather than on stumps.

hickory-tree-bench.jpg

I want to use it as a secondary work bench to the stump I usually use so I can have it at the right height rather than bending over as my back is protesting these days.

What I want to know is can anyone suggest a simple and cheap way of attaching a vice into this?

I can potentially purchase an old record or Stanley carpenter bench vice which would be fine though im not sure how this would attach.
Alternatively I could cut out a section of the trunk, possibly on one of the sides, turn the chunk of wood into the vice grip but again have no idea how I would attached or where I could get the gubbins needed like the large screw etc...

Any thought on how this could be made to work would be appreciated.

All the best, Hamster

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Well I would.say.the. easiest thing.to do is.decide where you want the vice to sit AMD then cut.out a section on the underside
As for.bolts.
M10 threaded bar and nuts can be bought on eBay
Vice wise. Go for a heavy duty Engineering vice best makes are Record or Stanley there are cheaper ones about but they are poorly made and won't stand the abuse

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I used a York vice screw for my rough and ready handrailing vice, you could do something similar using a split small diameter log.
Pics of vice below

100_0213.JPG

100_0212.JPG

keep meaning to pretty it up.
Rob.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Well I would.say.the. easiest thing.to do is.decide where you want the vice to sit AMD then cut.out a section on the underside
As for.bolts.

Second that. Or a traditional hardware store should have studding and get some huge repair washers for the underside. I have studding in my shop but I am near J10 M25. I know didly squat about vices Though.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As for.bolts.
Vice wise. Go for a heavy duty Engineering vice best makes are Record or Stanley there are cheaper ones about but they are poorly made and won't stand the abuse

as above......plonk it on top, drill, bolt, job done

get a set of soft jaws for it and it will do all a carpenters vice will and then some

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Or use large coach screws to attach the vice to the log/work top...have done that before out on site used an old sleeper and railway chair screws which are similar to coach screws

Sent from somewhere?

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Second that. Or a traditional hardware store should have studding and get some huge repair washers for the underside. I have studding in my shop but I am near J10 M25. I know didly squat about vices Though.

It's fortunate that i used to work in engineering....(tool maker /setter ) 200 tonne thermal presses brake press etc etc etc blah blah and so on

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I used a York vice screw for my rough and ready handrailing vice, you could do something similar using a split small diameter log.
Pics of vice below

100_0213.JPG

100_0212.JPG

keep meaning to pretty it up.
Rob.

Those were the bolts I was thinking of. I want to try and make something up using a section of the log as the vice jaw if I can just to see how it turns out.

All else fails I can bin the idea and just bolt on a shop bought one.

Cheers all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Those were the bolts I was thinking of. I want to try and make something up using a section of the log as the vice jaw if I can just to see how it turns out.

All else fails I can bin the idea and just bolt on a shop bought one.

Cheers all!

You could use the york vice screw in conjunction with a couple of dowels as guides (to stop it twisting) and an end section of your log. Add in a couple of dogs and and you could clamp longer stock along the length of the bench.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE