A year in the life of a forager....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
No problems... Its all a bit green at the mo, but I will have many interesting things over the next few months :)

Some piccy's could be better, but I'm replacing them as I go along.

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Few more today...

Curled dock-Rumex crispus. Not unlike sorrel, young shoots pleasant. Unpastured farmland.
wkXK5.jpg

Wild Onion-Allium canadense. Use the stems like chives, or if you have permission from the landowner,
The whole bulb can be used. Similar to spring onion, just much better. Roadsides.
KUBKm.jpg

EA98W.jpg

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Nice one. There's a peice in the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean freebie paper this week offering folks a free "wild garlic" picking event in Abergavenny.

I may well pop along if the wife doesn't want me to paint or build something!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
A cautionary Tale....

As with any type of collecting wild foods, some taste nice, some not so nice- although still edible, and some can be fatal.
I though I would add this next one to raise awareness as its very, very common to find when you are out and about. On some days at this time of the year it can look exactly like a type of flat leaf parsley,
the stems are near identical to celery and the bulbs like parsnip. Please be 110% exactly sure of what you are about to eat. I don't want to lecture anyone, I just want you to stay safe.
If in any doubt whatsoever, don't even pick something.

I have found learning the nasty stuff at the begging really helps.

Water dropwort-Several species in this gene are toxic, research thoroughly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_dropwort
btbLW.jpg

As little as 5 leaves (see yellow highlight) has been known to be fatal.
ZhcDV.jpg

Right, back to the good stuff :)

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Nice one. There's a peice in the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean freebie paper this week offering folks a free "wild garlic" picking event in Abergavenny.

I may well pop along if the wife doesn't want me to paint or build something!

Sounds like fun buddy... There's tons of ramsons, wild onion and three corner garlic/leek around at the mo..!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
What a superb thread - I'm learning a lot here

Agreed and same here!

What could be really useful as well would be a mention of any distinguishing features of the nasties. In other words, how do you tell them apart from something that looks similar.

Does that make sense?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The best way (well it works for me) is to fill up a flask and take a few books out for the day... Find a nasty (surprisingly easy) and explore the plant with a stick gently. Have a good look at the stems, markings and any other feature that makes it stand out from the rest. Its something you have to find a system for that works with you. Its a massive subject and the best thing is a field book!

Off out with camera today... More up later.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Few more today...

Fennel-Foeniculum vulgare Fish/sauces ect. (ribbed plantain growing though)
vBFnG.jpg

Hedge (not of the jack variety) mustard-Sisymbrium officinale. Taken on waste ground.
KWIMq.jpg

Red dead nettle-Lamium purpureum. Salads ect. No real taste, Probably as nutritious as stinging nettle- so worth mentioning.
Ys4ii.jpg

White dead nettle-Lamium album with a bit of wild pea for company :) Taken on roadside border.
44Rxz.jpg

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
And, there's more...

Wild Pea-Pisum sativum. I'll replace this once the pods are showing. 110% ID needed in this group.
wjQSH.jpg

Common hogweed or cow parsnip-Heracleum lanatum. Makes a great chutney or a simple veg.
htD0Y.jpg

Giant hogweed-Heracleum mantegazzianum for reference. Stay well clear.
W8ucF.jpg

Wild carrot-Daucus carota. Arable grassland. Thanks F.
ben37.jpg

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Few more yesterday... Did some tapping today for a change.

Wild rocket-Diplotaxis tenuifolia. So much better that the shop stuff.
wP6cJ.jpg

Sea Aster-Aster tripolium. Nice crisp succulent with a salt aftertaste. One of my faves.
JAYGg.jpg

Birch Sap- genus Betula pendula A real spring treat. Might try a maple over the next few days.
7kM0O.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Spirit fish

xylaria

parnsipWL.jpg

parsnipWP.jpg

Here is wild parnsip. It has gone quite downy now, the leafets are in pairs up the stem as they are in hogweed.

hogweed312ID.jpg

hogweed312.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

This is hogweed, it probably quite a bot bigger then this in most areas, but i am a way up hill so things a little slow around here. The downy leaf that is unfurling in the centre is the most edible.
Dont eat either wild parnips or hogweed unless you are absolutly sure you have IDed them correctly.

sorrel312.jpg

wild sorrel not to confused with;
arum.jpg

cockoo pint/lords and ladies/arum. The root on arum can be processed into a starch, but the leaves and any part of it raw cause oxalic acid burns to skin and mouth. It is not unusaul to come across arum and sorrel growing next to each other on woodland paths, however sorrel much prefers open grasslands. It is a very common weed in lawns, cockoo pint is only found in shady woodlands the leaves are much shineyer. They can look a like when small and under developed.

cowslip.jpg

cowslip, the flowers tastes lovely. a wine can be made from the flowers but it would require foraging a unethical amount.

woodsage.jpg

woodsage, I think it tastes quite unpleasant.

watercress312.jpg

watercress. I presume there will be liver fluke.

groundelder.jpg

ground elder, nice treated like spinach this time of year. Lightly boiled, bit of ramson butter melted over teh top, mmm I know what I am having for lunch tommorrow.

dogmercury.jpg

another common plant that carpets woodland floor this time of year, dogs mercury, this plant is poisonous.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Great post thanks Xylaria..!
Been mad busy of-late, but back out with camera today, and there's a rumour the St George's are now showing :)
[h=1][/h]

xylaria

Great post thanks Xylaria..!
Been mad busy of-late, but back out with camera today, and there's a rumour the St George's are now showing :)
not seen them yet. Had peas and weeds for tea though. chickpeas with satued ground elder and ramson butter. Saying that, my son said "doesn't this normally have them really nice mushrooms in it?". The old man made soem really nice chicken pakoras. Ramson riata is interesting, i am looking making fake turmeric with dock root.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Food above sounds most tempting, I just had boring pasty and beans.

As promised :) St Georges! Calocybe gambosa.
ha1V6.jpg

A week later...
uleZO.jpg

Good old Ramsons-Allium ursinum.
N3yfX.jpg

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Few more...

Hop Shoots-Humulus Lupulus. Sadly just a few weeks of the year. Tastes like very good asparagus.
pAf3m.jpg

Wild Strawberry-Fragaria vesca. Flower form.
oXNSo.jpg

Borage-Borago officinalis. Tastes like cucumber (roughly) Traditionally used in Pimms! Sundowner old boy? :)
PlEfH.jpg

Coltsfoot- Tussilago farfara. Not tried this as-yet but it is edible.
lCQcW.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE