A word about charcoal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Call it something catchy, and using words like *green*, *environmentally sustainable*, *managed native woodlands*, double the price and beat out the multi nationals :D
Much better than leaving all those little foil BBQ trays littering the landscape :cool:

cheers,
M

Dec 18, 2009
Lancaster
I agree that "green-washing" can often increase the price of a product - even when it's complete rubbish - take those "eco fuel magnets" sold by a number of big supposedly green concerns for instance. Discredited as pointless all over the world but still banged out at £20 a time or whatever. Had a big argument on the subject with the head of one such outfit on another forum and he was threatening all sorts of legal action and so on - but never took any funnily enough - wonder why that was??

The other problem of course is that the people who do leave those little foil trays all over the place - and I've picked up dozens along the canal - are unlikely to have the faintest interest in "doing the right thing", and so are unlikely to give it a try. Sad - but true.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
True, true, but if something like a shorter version, or even a half log version of the firelog looked *cool* and was available, they might go for that instead. At least then it would be biodegradable.
:dunno: the answer to the littering lot.

cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've tried the fire log and it works very well, up to a point. Be very careful if you decide to boil a kettle on one, as I did. One of the 'legs; burned through much faster than the others and a kettle of scalding water fell off. Fortunately no-one was close at the time, but it could have been nasty.

On the subject of charcoal I was given a bag of rhododendron charcoal a few years ago and it worked quite well. Seemed like a great idea for getting something useful out of all the rhoddy bashing that goes on. Some interesting comments here:

http://www.wildresources.co.uk/reports/rhodo_eng.pdf :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE