A wet weekend in the Dales.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just back from a couple of days hiking in The Dales with Adz-1983 of this forum. We had decided to hike some of the Pennine Way from Malham to Horton-in-Ribblesdale with a nights wild camp in the middle. Not a great distance at about 20 miles but plenty for me when there's mountains and a full pack involved. :)

We set out from Malham and the Cove was looking impressive as always.

001_zpsdec26aad.jpg

007_zps0abc4278.jpg

The path up to the top was just as steep as I remembered but we were soon up on the characteristic limestone pavement that all the school geography classes like to come and look at.

009_zpsd6a8e1e1.jpg

Did our best to avoid breaking our ankles on the clints and grikes and headed up a dry valley bottom towards Malham Tarn.

012_zpse92aeb7e.jpg

It was about this point I realised I'd failed to charge my camera, so phone pics only from here sorry! But still gorp makes it all better, mmm gorp ;).

DSC_0223_zpsaade1619.jpg

The rain had started in earnest by this point but I was keen to see how my new Keela Munro jacket would deal with it. We headed up and round the tarn which looked choppy and somewhat bleak in the gloomy weather.

DSC_0230_zps1e05fc14.jpg

Stopped for a sort out of gear and a brew.

DSC_0227_zps7cbae15f.jpg

My cook kit for this trip; Fire-Maple gas stove, Primus Alutech 1.0l and a Alpkit MyTiMug (for man size brews). I'd been given a load of OOD army rations so my food was pretty heavy but tasty enough and very convenient.

DSC_0235_zpsc6983b32.jpg

We left the tarn behind us and could see our destination, Fountains Fell, shrouded in mist ahead of us. Stopped for a check of the maps and had a chat to a sheep farmer. "Rather you than me" he said with a wry grin when we told him our plan to camp on the summit. He might have been right :D.

DSC_0239_zps2dfb527c.jpg

We headed up in to steadily worsening weather but with good spirits we reached the summit. Checking around for a camp spot we discovered several things. One, the rain had turned from torrential to biblical. Two, the area was strewn with open mine shafts. Three, the idyllic mountain Tarn I'd envisaged turned out to be a boggy hole. Good job my phone is waterproof or I wouldn't have any pics of our camp here.

DSC_0271_zps6dc5c4f2.jpg

DSC_0246_zps65156f28.jpg

Well once the tent was up and water collected I was drenched to the skin, sorry to say my Munro wet out which was disappointing. But then I'm yet to discover a jacket that can handle hard physical work and persistent rain. Painting a picture of a bad night here but actually I still had a smile on my face, at least I did after a brew and a change of clothes :). Cooked up some chilli, rice and cheese and had a couple of drams then turned in for the night. The clouds did lift a little as the sun was setting...

DSC_0251_zps8549d1e3.jpg

My Zephyros 2 is a great little tent and withstood the harsh conditions admirably but what it does lack is space. Surrounded by my drying gear and wet back pack I couldn't help but look enviously at the Silnylon palace of Adams MiniPeak. Still I slept like a log and woke to some better conditions in the morning.

DSC_0254_zpsb0751c4e.jpg

DSC_0261_zpse2770cf0.jpg

DSC_0263_zps4dcb4d2b.jpg

DSC_0266_zps47a655df.jpg

First real go with my Sawyer Mini, very impressed so far.

DSC_0262_zpsd0060cbd.jpg

Got packed away and made sure we left the camp just as we found it and headed off the hill towards our next peak, Pen-Y-Ghent. Not sure while there is a Welsh mountain in the middle of Yorkshire, anyone know how it got its name (translates to Hill of Winds apparently, I can see why)?

DSC_0274_zpsed1e90f0.jpg

More rain on the way.

DSC_0277_zpse907279c.jpg

Looking back up Fountains Fell.

DSC_0279_zps1d94a277.jpg

Pen-y-Ghent steadily looks steeper as we approach.

DSC_0280_zps6303b739.jpg

DSC_0293_zps58e2295b.jpg

I'd climbed this hill several times previously but never with more than a day pack. 5 weeks off the death sticks were showing some benefits and hiking poles definitely made it easier going.

DSC_0296_zpsa6dfc8c8.jpg

Adam making his way up a brutally steep bit.

DSC_0297_zps29c42f12.jpg

Made it!

DSC_0307_zps6df856a4.jpg

Nice views over to Ingleborough.

DSC_0312_zps270701d6.jpg

Hull pot, always worth a look.

DSC_0334_zpsd4fc6055.jpg

A shot of Adam where he's first come wild camping two years previously. A bit older and wiser now eh mate ;)?

DSC_0346_zps0ae202e4.jpg

Headed down to The Crown in Horton for a well deserved pie and a pint.

DSC_0356_zps2349c938.jpg

DSC_0358_zpse8a31f90.jpg

DSC_0359_zpsd863b3ba.jpg

Pitched up at Holme Farm campsite which is always an experience. Still at a fiver a night you cant complain :).

DSC_0365_zpsa5bce5de.jpg

Had a chilled out journey back to Malham. Got the train to Settle then a bus back to the car park at Malham which after 24 hours in wet boots was just fine by me :).

Anyway hopefully Adam will put some of his pics up, but a great weekend all round :D.

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Was a great weekend with great company and loved every minute of it ....except the Pen-Y-Ghent climb in slippery rain (bricks were definitely shat).

Thanks Kit, look forward to another weekend with you and the outdoors :)

Will post some more pics up soon once I'm organized.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great trip report, thanks for sharing.:)

Nice photos. :) Cheers.

Even with the rain that looks like a great weekend. :)

Thanks all, glad you like the piccies.

Was a great weekend with great company and loved every minute of it ....except the Pen-Y-Ghent climb in slippery rain (bricks were definitely shat).

Thanks Kit, look forward to another weekend with you and the outdoors :)

Will post some more pics up soon once I'm organized.

Cheers mate I had a right good time too.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great TR CH! :) Thanks for posting, we were doing much the same thing, probably commenting on Malham in the car as you were going up it.

I'd like to see Malham cove one day, not got to it yet.

I'm just starting out with the Sawyer mini after swapping from the heavier Aquaguard type. First use was on the bladder as normal. Last trip was with the sawyer screwed onto the squeeze pouch or a 2l bottle.
I noticed that I was drinking much less with the bottle than having the water just a suck away on the hose, also missed the gravity filter aspect of it where I can just hang the bladder off a tree or pole and fill the pot without squeezing it. Although it's massively lighter using the bottle over the bladder, I suspect I'd have drunk more water, saving that weight and also keeping better hydrated. A massive improvement on the Aquaguard though, the flow rate is excellent and it's just a better product IMO all round.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one lads, one of my favourite areas.

Pie and chips look good, I hope you had a better pint in the Crown than I did a few months back, tasted like battery acid and went down the drain outside :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great TR CH! :) Thanks for posting, we were doing much the same thing, probably commenting on Malham in the car as you were going up it.

I'm just starting out with the Sawyer mini after swapping from the heavier Aquaguard type. First use was on the bladder as normal. Last trip was with the sawyer screwed onto the squeeze pouch or a 2l bottle.
I noticed that I was drinking much less with the bottle than having the water just a suck away on the hose, also missed the gravity filter aspect of it where I can just hang the bladder off a tree or pole and fill the pot without squeezing it. Although it's massively lighter using the bottle over the bladder, I suspect I'd have drunk more water, saving that weight and also keeping better hydrated. A massive improvement on the Aquaguard though, the flow rate is excellent and it's just a better product IMO all round.

Cheers Pete, yeah I enjoyed reading your adventures in the Lakes :). Malham tarn is well worth a look and I love that part of the Dales in general.

The Sawyer sure is a big leap up from my PreMac MWP I was using previously. I had a 2l bladder I was using as a 'dirty' water bag which I could attach the Sawyer to and filter into my two Nalgenes. It also meant I could hold an total of 4l in camp. I think I might swap one of the Nalgenes for a 1l bottle with a standard thread so I can have a bottle to drink on the go which sounds like what your using.
Anyway a top bit of kit :).

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice one lads, one of my favourite areas.

Pie and chips look good, I hope you had a better pint in the Crown than I did a few months back, tasted like battery acid and went down the drain outside :)

Cheers Rich, my pint (s ;)) of 'Old Perculiar' were pretty good. Had a couple in the Golden Lion, just check theirs was ok too...

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fantastic trip report

The Mini still works as a gravity filter, only having one working arm i find it tough to squeeze the bladder so 99% of the time i use both the Sawyer and the Mini as gravity filters.

Here's my setup

20140423_021823_zpsn6fclvxs.jpg

Either use a tree or a walking pole to hang the dirty bladder from

Used a paper hole punch to make the holes in the bladder
Used paracord as the bladder attachment cord as i figured having some stretch and being thicker diameter wouldn't stress the holes in the bag as much.
I then used dyneema for the hanging cord with a prusik knot so i can adjust the height perfectly.
T'other end (not seen in the pic, but will happily snap a pic if anyones interested) is just a small clasp so i can just wrap it round a tree, stone, pole etc.

20140423_021835_zpsxtm3r48f.jpg

It's the full sized Sawyer in the pic, but i use the mini all the time now.

Did 5 days in the lakes a couple of weeks ago so was filtering all the water, takes around 7 mins to gravity drip around 2 litres of water.

Sawyer full sized is very slightly quicker but you're talking 20 seconds of so.

Sorry for going off-topic

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey that's a neat set up. I'd considered doing something similar but I was worried about damaging the bladder, it doesn't weaken the seams any then?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Fantastic trip report

The Mini still works as a gravity filter, only having one working arm i find it tough to squeeze the bladder so 99% of the time i use both the Sawyer and the Mini as gravity filters.

Here's my setup

20140423_021823_zpsn6fclvxs.jpg

Either use a tree or a walking pole to hang the dirty bladder from

Used a paper hole punch to make the holes in the bladder
Used paracord as the bladder attachment cord as i figured having some stretch and being thicker diameter wouldn't stress the holes in the bag as much.
I then used dyneema for the hanging cord with a prusik knot so i can adjust the height perfectly.
T'other end (not seen in the pic, but will happily snap a pic if anyones interested) is just a small clasp so i can just wrap it round a tree, stone, pole etc.

20140423_021835_zpsxtm3r48f.jpg

It's the full sized Sawyer in the pic, but i use the mini all the time now.

Did 5 days in the lakes a couple of weeks ago so was filtering all the water, takes around 7 mins to gravity drip around 2 litres of water.

Sawyer full sized is very slightly quicker but you're talking 20 seconds of so.

Sorry for going off-topic
I wanted to try that with my liquitainer attached and sealed to the drinking tube but it was chewed by a bloody fox and I haven't replaced it yet. :rolleyes:

How do the Evernew's hold up mate? As good as the liquitainers do you know? I had 3 years solid use before Megan got hold of it.

Sorry CH for the hijack. :eek:

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Hey that's a neat set up. I'd considered doing something similar but I was worried about damaging the bladder, it doesn't weaken the seams any then?

So far no problems, i check the seams and the area around the holes after each trip and not even the holes have stretched yet.

I'd say that squeezing would put more stress on the seams than hanging the bladder, worst case i could envision is that the holes stretch and finally give out.
If this does happen then it won't affect how the bladder holds water as the holes are above the water line so to speak.

I wanted to try that with my liquitainer attached and sealed to the drinking tube but it was chewed by a bloody fox and I haven't replaced it yet. :rolleyes:

How do the Evernew's hold up mate? As good as the liquitainers do you know? I had 3 years solid use before Megan got hold of it.

Sorry CH for the hijack. :eek:

We stayed the night at Angle tarn a few weeks ago, gotta say after reading you and Shewie's report i was kinda disappointed we didn't get raided by the local fox.
Bit insulting really, i mean wasn't out food as good as yours????? :lmao:

No experience with the Liquidtainers, so no comparison sorry.

Been using the Evernew bladders for a couple of years now which easily equates to over 200 uses the bags still look like new.

Should also say that i've had the bladder hanging full of water all night several times, so i don't baby them at all.

Actually experimented a bit with the system when i got back and now use a Blake's hitch for the bit the bag attaches too.

If there are no trees of high rocks around i usually stick my walking pole as deep into the ground as it will go, then rest my rucksack on the pole to counter the weight of the bag hanging from it.

On the last trip my brother was squeezing the bladder (sounds painful :eek: ) and i hung mine from my hiking pole, squeezing was certainly faster but there wasn't much in it.

Only major problem we had was filling the bloody bladders up, i've tried scoops, rocks in the bladder, even rigged a system up with some of my sea fishing weights to pull the bladder under the water, nothing seems to work well.

Have a couple of cyclone tubes coming.
These are little plastic connectors that enable 2 male ends of plastic bottles to connect, as usually cola style plastic bottles have the same threads as Sayer/Evernew they should connect straight up.

cyclonetube2__00331.jpg

Plan is to use a 1/2 cut bottle like CH uses as a scoop, but connect it to the bladder with one of these gadgets, hope is the cyclone type effect will fill the bladder up.
Fingers crossed.

Again sorry for going off topic CH

Cheers
Mark

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Bit insulting really, i mean wasn't out food as good as yours????? :lmao:

Mr fox had malt loaf, peanut butter, jam, 90% lindt chocolate, cereal bars, coffee, Baileys and whiskey and a silnylon bag to carry it in. He's probably still asleep. :)

Cheers for the info Mark. ;) I'll look at those for replacement.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Mr fox had malt loaf, peanut butter, jam, 90% lindt chocolate, cereal bars, coffee, Baileys and whiskey and a silnylon bag to carry it in. He's probably still asleep. :)

Cheers for the info Mark. ;) I'll look at those for replacement.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Couple of guys on t'bay have then in stock now.
About £7 for the 600ml and £8 for the 1500ml, but he's charging $24.57 for postage

There is also a seller in Japan with them in stock with free postage, but they're up to £18 for the 2000ml version.

After the tsunami it was extremely difficult to find the Evernew bags, it seems as though production has caught up though as they tend ti pop up more often now, so don't worry if you miss one, they come up every couple of weeks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Only major problem we had was filling the bloody bladders up, i've tried scoops, rocks in the bladder, even rigged a system up with some of my sea fishing weights to pull the bladder under the water, nothing seems to work well.

Plan is to use a 1/2 cut bottle like CH uses as a scoop

Cheers
Mark

I use the bottom of a 750ml water bottle as a scoop, light as you like and I can stuff my empty rolled up bottles in there in the side pack pocket.

I was pondering in camp the other day, I currently use the bottle bottom to fill the little 500ml Sawyer bag, then squeeze that into a 3L soft Platypus bottle, that way I always have plenty of drinking water in camp. 90% of it always gets boiled for brews or food so I'm over cautious, I could do away with the Sawyer bag and just filter straight from the Platy, it'd save ten minutes at camp and a massive 21g from the pack weight though :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE