A Weekend of Paddling with Kim Bull ( V picture heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I took part in a beginners/improver's, paddling course last March, run by Kim Bull, a level 5 coach based in Bellingham Northumberland.

I learned a hell of a lot of very important skills, as well as gaining immeasurable confidence in what me and my boat can do together.

Anyway, that was back in March. Then Kim ran the same course again over the weekend just gone and invited me along, as a guest! :D

I was delighted to accept his invitation and went along to Tyne Green at Hexham on Saturday morning, and met up with the small group of paddlers.

This time I was determined to get photo's and expected just to be pootling around the group, but no! I was drawn right in amongst it again and was soon trying extra hard, to remember what I had learned earlier in the year:rolleyes:

It was all a bit hectic for the first hour or so and my camera remained in the dry bag but it was brought out at lunch time and I captured a few shots of the canoe club getting on the water.
P7100016copyresized01.jpg

There were a load of different boats out, this picture was taken after about 15 kayaks had just departed up river.

Then we paddled off upstream too, practising the mornings skills and learning new ones, as we went.
We pulled out, next to the small upstream island, or some of us did anyway, and watched some of the folk we had seen earlier, practising various open boat skills:
P7100027copyresized04.jpg

Poling:
P7100024copyresized07.jpg

Canoe sailing:
P7100026copyresized05.jpg

and just tootling along with the dog:
P7100025copyresized06.jpg

We did some boat recovery and transferring from boat to boat, all excellent confidence builders but also; solid, practical skills.

Everyone, including me, finished the first day with a head full of knowledge.

Sadly, I had work on Sunday morning and Ian & Louise ( barely & rarelyafloat on SoTP) also could not make the second day but I determined to meet the remainder of the group after work, as they were to be doing some moving water skills at Prudhoe, a mere mile from my place of work!

So, I put in my dayshift, then away along the road to find the lads. I found them ferry gliding and lining, on the other side of the river, so settled down to take photo's.
They were a good 150 yds away so I was using a lot of zoom but they came out reasonably well:
P7110030copyresized11.jpg

the boats were zipping across the current like surf boards at times!
P7110038copyresized09.jpg

they did both single and double lining techniques:

With Kim keeping an ever watchful eye on proceedings:
P7110028copyresized03.jpg

except when it was his turn to be the guinea pig!;
P7110046copyresized08.jpg

Then they pulled out onto the bank for a quick debrief, before paddling back across to my side.
P7110033copyresized10.jpg

I've got a bit of video that I'll add later, which gives a better idea of the conditions, it was blowing a gale at times and the lads did well to make headway against the wind.

Kim doing a little "one on one" with Peter.
P7110057copyresized13.jpg

A tired but happy Peter, with a head full of "stuff" to take away and practice and perfect in the coming months.
P7110063copyresized12.jpg

This was the same for all of us who attended, even watching from the bank was a worthwhile experience.

I'm hoping to paddle again with Kim soon, possibly incorporating bushcraft skills next time.
He's an extremely able coach, making it all look easy, while at the same time making the learning a real pleasure.
Basically; He's what I would describe as a "natural" with a gift not only for the skills he teaches but also for passing them on in a very laid back but highly professional way.

I'd like to thank; Peter, Rich,Selwyn, Louise & Ian, for their splendid company and of course Kim, for his very generous invitation to join the group for the weekend as a guest.;)

I really did thoroughly enjoy every minute:thankyou:

very best wishes to all

R.B.

rancid badger

Here are the video clips:
This was the second day:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStalch#p/a/u/1/_JiPpfVHNSY[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStalch#p/a/u/2/snFmFT-VT6A[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrStalch#p/a/u/0/u3QGmsH8k1s[/video]

All you land lubbers, don't know what you're missing!:canoe:

atb

R.B.

rancid badger

New tricks Rich?............... Well I'm not sure about that, as I was still at work when they sorted out the lining etc But:

I'm definitely going to have a paddle or two at Prudhoe in future, it's literally 15 mins from home and 2mins from work:D

Boat on the car in the morning, off to work, finish the shift and along to put the boat in;)

As for Kim being a bit far north, well it depends really. We had a couple of lads from Shropshire last time and some folk; think nothing of driving for 7 or 8 hours + to get to the likes of Scotland for a weekend paddle.

Not ME mind you! I simply can't afford to spend that sort of money on fuel these days and the idea of driving for hours on end, doesn't appeal either:rolleyes:

The truth is; that the sort of coaching Kim delivers, is priceless.
I'm sure you could get similar tuition nearer home though:)

kind regards

Steve

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I'd love to take a course like that, RB. I watched a guy in a canoe going up the River Ness solo last year. I watched him for maybe 20 minutes from the undergrowth, lining his boat, jumping back in to paddle or pole in slacker water, then out with the line again. There was quite a flow on the water but I was most impressed by the ground he was covering. Looked like hard work, though!

I had to find out what this guy had in mind as the implications were mindboggling, (Glenmore, Loch Linnhe, west coast?) so walked on upstream to look for a likely spot to drum up and where he might conceivably be in need of a brew. Sure enough, 20 minutes later he came into view, thankfully still on my side of the river and pulled-to on the stones.
He said he'd heard the pot boiling. :lmao:

His name was Richard and he was from around Beauly. His purpose for the day was to take the boat up the river, as opposed to the canal, in practice for an intended trip through the Great Glen and back home the long way round the coast, although he hadn't yet decided which way round. He reckoned it would take him a month.
A highly skilled, competent and very brave man nonetheless!

Just a tad beyond my particular gift for bravado/stupidity, certainly beyond my skills base.

Happy :canoe:

Bill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE