A weekend away - almost

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - I got away for Friday (mostly) and Saturday nights, up in my little woods...
I spent Friday setting up camp, relaxing, cutting firewood, relaxing, reading, remodelling the fire reflector, and relaxing until I had to nip home to clean up a bit and then go to work from 5pm until 9pm. Straight from work I returned to the woods, had a mug of hot choc, phone my wife, read a bit and went to bed nice and early. A bitterly cold night tested my new tarp and sleeping system and I woke to a bright and cold morning.
Sat saw me light the fire (flint and steel of course) cut some firewood and have a visit from one of my co-workers and one of the "participants" at the Care Farm who was on a respite visit to the Farm for the weekend.
Later on Roly (Dr Jones on this forum) joined me and Greg (Greg on this forum) and his son dropped in for a chat - good to see Greg is recovering from his back problems - and then Roly and I were left on our own in the woods.
We chatted, cut firewood, chatted, ate , cut firewood and chatted the day away then retired on a cold night.
We both slept well but I woke first, dropped my bivi and more or less packed away before breakfast (fried Haggis) under the communal tarp.
Roly woke just as the rain started but we both stayed pretty dry but decided to give the day up to the weather and left for home after breakfasting and dousing the fire.
A bit of a srange weekend but much needed by both of us - Rolys first outing for 12 months and I had not been out since December!
My new kit worked fine but the sleeping bag temp ratings were a bit "hopeful"! - a full review in the future some time...

Last edited by a moderator:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Some times those "muddle" weekends are the ones you remember more. Must get out soon its been months :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Looks fun, John, nice chair.

More "Sweet relaxation" than "Fun" but much needed!
If you like the chair - how about this one?
I have just waxed and oiled it and it is ready for the woods as soon as it is dry :)
003 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).jpg
The stool in the thread photos above was originally of this design but is now rotting and unfit for seating use... it was used in my Bushclass Advanced certificate work..
View attachment 34734

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE