A week in Sweden - suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
We were supposed to be going over to France this year with my brother and his tribe but they've messed about too long so we've decided to bin them and sort something out for ourselves.

I've heard so many good things about Sweden and wondered if somebody could give me some pointers as where to chill out for a week or two in summer.
SWMBO is quite outdoorsy so will be up for most stuff but she wouldn't go for a full on bushy holiday, camping out everynight and eating worms doesn't appeal to her. Strange woman !

Any ideas folks

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
We were supposed to be going over to France this year with my brother and his tribe but they've messed about too long so we've decided to bin them and sort something out for ourselves.

I'm about to quote Asterix here about strange Brittons, throwing away reletives with the trash, but to each his own.

I've heard so many good things about Sweden and wondered if somebody could give me some pointers as where to chill out for a week or two in summer.
SWMBO is quite outdoorsy so will be up for most stuff but she wouldn't go for a full on bushy holiday, camping out everynight and eating worms doesn't appeal to her. Strange woman !

Any ideas folks

There are a reasonable number of B&B places on Sweden these days, so you could easilly get her out of the bush and into bed (cough). Also youth hostels.

If you go up north into the mountains (fjällen) there are places one could stay in and do day hikes (http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/en/), or do hikes from cabin to cabin. If you like canoeing and forest hiking Värmland-Dalsland is nice. Again, that is a region where there is hostels and B&B places galore. If you want a bit wilder country you can go further north (Jämtland or so). Perhaps do something like the mountains in western Jämtland, and then follow the river down (coach or car) and do some walking in the woods? Or wild canoe/hiking country, a bit like the barren ground in Canada, if you go to Rogen in Härjedalen?

Be carefull about the reindeer (and moose in the forested parts) if you drive.

Plenty of campgrounds have cottages that you can rent by the night (book now!) if you feel the need to get her into bed.

Most places that even pretend to try to cater to tourists will have staff with passable to excellent English, in Värmland-Dalsland probably also German.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks very much FW

You've given me plenty to look at there :You_Rock_

How is wild camping looked upon by the authorities over there ? Is it a big no no everywhere or are there certain no go areas to avoid ?

Gailainne

Life Member
Thanks very much FW

You've given me plenty to look at there :You_Rock_

How is wild camping looked upon by the authorities over there ? Is it a big no no everywhere or are there certain no go areas to avoid ?

Sweden is civilised, like Scotland, with a right to roam in place, similar disclaimers, no open fires in dry areas, dont camp in site of property etc, their populance however treat "the Nature" with a great deal more respect than here :( .

I second the Varmland, thats where I went on my 2 WEISS courses at Prebens, lovely unspoilt countryside, looks and feels a lot like the West coast of Scotland, clean lakes, we had Deer in the woods, Moose in the hills, Ospreys nesting on an island just off shore, Beaver down the lake a bit, active Linx traps, go a couple of hundred klicks further North and there'll be Wolf and perhaps Bear. No Wallabys tho :D

Hmm whens my next holiday due :cool:

Stephen

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I've been out a couple of times this year and have traveled around a fair bit from Lulea in the far north down to the Vastra Gotland area in the south.
I wouldn't claim intimate knowledge of the country but going on quick impressions, I liked Jamtland the best. If you go west in this region you could poke your head round the door into Norway. Take your cheque book...
Don't know the mozzy situation in Summer as I was out in the snow.
However, even much of the 'south' of Sweden is still north of say, Aberdeen and 5 mins out of major cities you have more forest than you can shake a stick at.
Be aware that Ryan Air fly the budget routes, and will land you either in Gothenburg or Stockholm (actually Nykoping, some 113km south!). It's a big country by UK standards, so however you intend getting around, factor that in.
If needs be I could probably dig out a leaflet regarding 'Lighting fires + Access to Open Country' that I picked up somewhere along the line.
I booked most of my accommodation through:
http://www.bokahotell.se
and the train journeys through:
http://www.sj.se

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
As a Swede I would highly recommend the mountains (or Fjälls as we call them) many ood places with great mountains stations that offrer buffes with as many reindeer steaks and salmon you can eat and it´s all local catch. Then there are Värmland with all it´s lakes. Of course there are other fun stuffs like the biggest outoor fair that is filled with fun and interesting people and lecture and dont cost nothing. It´s much easier to if we know what you want to do, we are a countr and a people that likes to be out so there a re a lot to do here...

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
If you know about the right of public access in Sweden, you'll quickly realize that you can go almost anywhere and enjoy the woods and lakes.

In the north there is less people and more wilderness. More sun-hours and more mozzies too...

In the south there is plenty of woods and lakes and more things to gawk at. And better communications.

I would suggest that you rent a cottage for a week. That way you'll have a comfy base and can roam around during the days. Near the woods? By a lake, perhaps? Rent a canoe?

Try to google for "sweden lake woods canoe hiking cottage rent" and you'll get more leads than you can shake a stick at. If that isn't enough, please feel free to remove or change some of the search terms.

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
sweden is a great country for a trip. Beware the weak pound though its v expensive at the moment

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
sweden is a great country for a trip. Beware the weak pound though its v expensive at the moment

Somebody mentioned £8 a pint :eek:

or was that Denmark ?

The France trip looks like it's back on now so Sweden will probably wait until winter now. SWMBO wants to see the ice hotel thingy and I hopefully want to catch the northern lights, aswell as a bit of dog sledding and igloo building :)

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
That's Norway shewie! if you whant to sample some Swedish larger ikea do it for around £1 a can my advice would be to take all your own booze and grub as most scandinavian countries will be expensive mite have to cheque with customs thou as some fresh foods are not aloud stanley

Somebody mentioned £8 a pint :eek:

or was that Denmark ?

The France trip looks like it's back on now so Sweden will probably wait until winter now. SWMBO wants to see the ice hotel thingy and I hopefully want to catch the northern lights, aswell as a bit of dog sledding and igloo building :)

If you want to see the northern lights Shewie, 2011 / 2012 are due to be the peak of the eleven year solar sunspot cycle, and so the best time for seeing the Northern lights...
current-sunspot-cycle-8-10-08.gif

(By the way, Norway is very expensive, so I can believe £8 / pint, Sweden is not so steep as a guide £4 / pint in my experience. Denmark no idea)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE