A Wee Lunch In The Forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnywebb123

Jan 7, 2010
scotland
After signing up for this forum i have had even more of an urge to get myself out and about.

So since the weather looked quite good this morning i texted a fellow scout leader to see if he wanted to go and check out our camp site and try out a few of our new projects.

so off we went
S1036263.jpg

once on the site we were a bit suprised by the amount of snow around :wow1:
S1036264.jpg

S1036267.jpg

S1036268.jpg

we also noticed some nice fungi's could some please id it for us :confused:

S1036265.jpg

S1036266.jpg

After a investigation of the site to find it nice and white but more importantly undamaged :red: we went into the forest for lunch and to test our newest project

NEWSPAPER BRICKS

the idea of these is wet newspaper squashed together in a press to make a tinder

The Area Before we started

S1036270.jpg

to my surprise it caught very well and could be seen burning in the fire for a good 2hours. here are some of the pictures in action

S1036271.jpg

S1036272.jpg

from half of the brick we went onto build a fire to cook our lunch on with and i took time to take some pictures of my kit that i took out for the day

KIT
S1036274.jpg

Fire Pictures

S1036278.jpg

S1036277.jpg

On The Fire we made some lovely chicken curry and tomato soup

S1036282.jpg

S1036281.jpg

so all in all a very nice wee day out, and thanks alot for the inspiration guys :You_Rock_

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
the fungus looks like beefsteak (fistulina hepatica) i have just been reading collins gem ''food for free'' so just going with the pic from that but someone with more experience will be more sure!!

Nice pics!!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
You can buy a press for £20 from the gadget catalogues. You wet the paper and press it into the "brick" mould.

I personally find they don't burn that well.

Mmm...I was wondering if you could make mini-bricks. Using a fairy-bun baking tray to produce several in one go. And then use those as a fuel for fires.

jonnywebb123

Jan 7, 2010
scotland
u probably could durulz but they might set fire to your oven :s

i would need to disagree though widu, we used half a brick split in half with cotton wool inside it and it easily started to catch and burned really well for a few hours even with the damp kindle on it, the brick in the pictures is the other half (not the half with cotton wool inside) onto flames for a few minutes and as can be seen produce quite a good ember

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE