A warning about tin cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Then you'd not have your tins picked up. With us we have to put glass, plastic and cans in one clear bag, paper in another clear bag, food in a small bag in a small bin in the kitchen which you then put in a bigger lock top food bin outdoors. Bigger junk goes in a big wheelie bin. Visible dirty cans in a bag and the bag is left behind.

The Vale of Glamorgan was the same until recently - when it was pointed out that the carefully separated waste was all being chucked into the same lorry, where it got mixed up again! Now they collect 'comingled' waste (their word) - we still have to wash it out though, which I think is appropriate, given that somebody has to handle it at some point afterwards.

The OPs point about the cans is a good one - I always take the lid off completely, but not (until now) for the right reasons.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
That is a wonderful council- most of the time recycling glass is actually worse for the environment than landfilling it. The same is also true of some plastics recycling and a lot of paper recycling....

Metals though are well worth it.

i don't see how chucking it in a hole where it will remain for hundreds of years polluting the environment is better than recycling it

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I almost never use tin cans. When I do I remove the lid completely and wash them before they go into the recycle bin. On exped the lids are completely removed then the tins are burnt to remove food smell crushed and packed out in a food barrel.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Vale of Glamorgan was the same until recently - when it was pointed out that the carefully separated waste was all being chucked into the same lorry, where it got mixed up again! Now they collect 'comingled' waste (their word) - we still have to wash it out though, which I think is appropriate, given that somebody has to handle it at some point afterwards.

The OPs point about the cans is a good one - I always take the lid off completely, but not (until now) for the right reasons.

We have one wagon for the wheelie bin, then a separate truck with no compactor for the recycled stuff. The council did say that a lot of the rubbish is still hand sorted hence the need for clean tins. Personally I would think most of the stuff goes into land fill sites.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
i don't see how chucking it in a hole where it will remain for hundreds of years polluting the environment is better than recycling it

Landfilling waste- in properly constructed modern landfills is not an environmental problem, rather a logistical problem (where the number of holes in the ground are running out!). Landfills these days generally don't leak gallons of leachate unlike those of old. Better still is the wastes use in waste to energy plants to generate electricity or heat. But uninformed Nimbyism impacts on the number of those plants.

The trouble with recycling is the energy and resources used in recycling is often more than that used to generate the raw product. Using glass as a case study- recycled glass needs to be washed by you (using water, and indirectly a proportion of the resource use and energy that goes into the system of water distribution), collected by the council (energy use-fuel+ resource use in their vehicles), processed at a material recycling facility (washed again, sorted, crushed- resource use, energy use), transported again to another plant that could be somewhere distant in the country, or often in another country altogether (energy use, resource use by the transport network), processed into a new product (energy use), distributed to the consumer (energy and resource use).

Virgin glass comes from melted sand- not a scarce resource. Certainly creating a product from fresh involves some of the above stages, but not all. Its worth pointing out that the above is a worst case example, better life cycle energy/resource performance can be gained by producing a low grade product that requires less sorting and processing of the material to be recycled.

I was involved in an Environment Agency investigation into possible illegal exporting of waste out of the country- it somewhat opened my eyes top the realities of recycling. A huge amount of recycled paper for instance is baled and shipped to India or China for supposed recycling. The reality is, that much of it is simply dumped in open air landfills (and those ones aren't sealed at all!). Where paper is recycled, to any grade other than low grade (i.e. newspaper) uses huge amounts of water, energy and chemicals (i.e. bleaches). Think also about all the energy used to collect and distribute the paper for recycling. On the other hand, paper can be sourced from sustainable forests, which also play their part in carbon capture and support an ecosystem.

I could go on, but won't! What we need to realise is that blind recycling of all our materials isn't necessarily as green as it is sold as. Recycling (in this country at least) is driven by a logistical need, landfill taxes, and European targets translated into government targets. It is just the government have decided the best way to sell it to the masses is to make people feel they are doing their bit for the environment (i.e. in the same way that hybrid and electric cars -generally far more polluting than petrol/diesal offerings-are missold to people). Certainly for some recycling, you are doing the right thing- but don't be unquestionably lead into it!

Jan 15, 2012
essex
I do that with cans, the tops lift up just before you get to the end so you can fold it back.
If i open the can all the way round i then need a knife to get the cut top out of the can.
my cans go in the recycling bag after so shouldnt end up in a tip.
If out all my rubish comes home with me.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

It doesn't always. But some items take a great deal of water and energy to clean and recycle. Sometimes that process is more harmful than manufacturing new product (particularly with paper which biodegrades rather quickly)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Back to the OP; how many cans over there still need a can opener? The newer ones with pull off lids don't leave any option other than full removal anyway.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cheaper food often needs a can opener. I've noticed corned beef is showing up in ring pull these days. The only ring pull cans I don't like are the flat cans of fish, more often than not no matter how careful you get juice spillage, I do at least.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE