A very nice test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's a nice knife Seved, but I think it would benefit from a larger handle. At about 5.50 in, the guy is chopping a pine stick and the blade folds flat to the wood. He's a lively chap, but doesn't seem too experienced at what he's doing. And having seen a lot of knife competition cutting, the watermelon cutting isn't impressive but again shows the reviewers lack of skill with large blades.

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
It's a nice knife Seved, but I think it would benefit from a larger handle. At about 5.50 in, the guy is chopping a pine stick and the blade folds flat to the wood. He's a lively chap, but doesn't seem too experienced at what he's doing. And having seen a lot of knife competition cutting, the watermelon cutting isn't impressive but again shows the reviewers lack of skill with large blades.

I dont agree.

Seved

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
So I'm supposed to click on a link that takes me off this site to another to show what? Your blade?

I haven't clicked the link because I think its rather disrespectful to the site as a whole to make a brief sentence and expect me to look elsewhere.

As a blade maker, I'd have thought you'd put in more effort to sell your wares... but obviously not.

seved

Maker
Dec 10, 2007
Sweden
www.sevedsknivar.se
Dont click on it then. Nobody has to.
That knife isnt for sale.
Its just information of one of my knives.
People know where to find me If they want a knife.
And this end the discussion from my part.
These kind of discussions never leads to any good.

Seved

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Well, choose a video reviewer that doesn't swear and demonstrate using the knife as a weapon then fail to hit a watermelon at arms length. Is it a killing blade, or a woodland chopper, or a survival tool, or just an advert?

And it needs a bigger handle, like any big knife such as kukri or golok. Even most machetes have bigger grip at the pommel end. It doesn't appear to do anything special that any of the above types wouldn't do.

However, I do like the blade.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Dont click on it then. Nobody has to.
That knife isnt for sale.
Its just information of one of my knives.
People know where to find me If they want a knife.
And this end the discussion from my part.
These kind of discussions never leads to any good.

Seved

Wow.

Customer service at its best.

I couldn't care less if your knife is for sale, or you've given it to starving children in Africa, your presentation method is really rather lacking.

People now know that you couldn't care less how you present yourself, nor do you deal well with criticism. All here for people to see.

No matter how good you are at shaping a piece of metal, it is worth noting you need to connect with the customer.

The simple fact you say 'these kind of discussions never leads to any good' speaks volumes! I made a comment about your presentation, and you tell me it lead to no good? Again. Wow!

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I think it's hard to tell how well the knife really performs due to the way the reviewer thrashes about in a fairly uncontrolled way. It really was difficult to take him seriously. However, a blade where the thickness tapers so much towards the tip doesn't strike me as a good design for chopping. So I suppose it depends on what the main purpose of a 'survival cutlass' is going to be. The reviewer seemed to think it was for doing some damage!!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It is easy to embed videos into a post, just use the "Insert Video" icon and paste the URL into the dialogue box that appears. We ask that people embed their videos rather than just link to other sites. In this case I have done it for the OP.

hmmm. I was expecting to see a short sword. Not that I think that survival swords are a good concept, but that's what I thought of when I saw "cutlass".

As a large knife, nice blade shape, and kudos for the corrosion resistant finish.

For the handle, it does look like it would be better suited to a smaller knife and wouldn't offer a lot of help in controlling such a long and deep blade. In some ways it doesn't matter whether the handle is actually brilliant as it is, if most people looking at it, and watching the review think it looks like a problem, then it won't be helping you to sell or helping the knives you do sell to hold their aftermarket value.

As a video review, not a fan of the style. All that waving around at the start and the red juice makes it look like a weapon and I don't think that does us any favours. If I had one of my camp knives reviewed like that, with those demos, I would be far from pleased. I think that a less dramatic but more skilled review would have made your knife look better.

KenThis

Settler
Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I don't really want to get involved in any argument.
But I honestly thought this was a comedy video, taking the micky out of similar videos, when I watched it.
If it was done as a serious review then he knows less about handling a large knife than me and I know almost nothing.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Seved.

As a fellow maker.....i would suggest adding both length, and a downward sweep to the rear of the handle on a blade that long ( bulbous pommel area). As i watched the vid, i couldn't help but notice that all the power in the swing, came from the guys arms muscles. This isn't needed with a properly aligned handle. You need an overall shape which will generate its own inertia, requiring less power from the user..... which in turn, leads to greater accuracy in the swing..... if that makes sense? An overall "straight" blade is inefficient in use (as a chopper). Compared to one which includes the handle shape in the design.. I'd also say a little more belly before the upsweep on the blade itself would help increase efficiency (cutting power) too. The knife has the potential to be a good design (efficient)... but needs a couple of tweaks to achieve it! :)

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Possibly the worst knife review video I have ever sat through. Clearly the reviewer has zero skill using a knife as a tactical tool and not much skill using As a bushcraft tool.

the camo coating is just asking for the knife to disappear into the leaf litter. I suppose you would keep warm looking for it.

The paper cutting test wasn't good.

The handle is a little small the balance the weight of the blade. I think it would be tiring to use for extended use.

The blade shape looks ok. I would take onboard some of the previous comments to refine it to get a tool that would be more popular in the UK market.

That said I'm not a great fan of big knives anyway.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
An abysmally bad thing, that video........Embarrasingly childish, in my view, and possibly the worse thing I've ever seen on this site; that kind of thing is what gives the knife ban lobby plenty to go at, we don't need it.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I think the reviewer has let the maker down in this case, friend or not , for the same reasons mentioned in above posts...
The guy really is acting like an imbecile, even if he's not. I don't know him , but that performance is both irresponsible and just downright dumb.
It's like an advert for a weapon , instead of a review of a useful tool.

How he didn't hurt himself , swinging that thing around like that it's anyone's guess...

However , the merit and efforts of the maker of this knife should not be undermined.
It takes skill to make these things and even if it doesn't appeal to everyone , it was crafted with passion and some thought.
The camo thing is a little counter intuitive , but so is the black torch .
I mean , whats the point of having a black torch? You won't find it very well in the dark right?

Fair play to Hillbill for giving good advice and for others to offer constructive criticism on both the knife and the presentation.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I enjoyed the vid...made me laugh - lively chap, that one. Most of the time knife review vids are much over worked and pointless to a degree...cutting stuff, chopping stuff is tasks I kind of expect a knife to be able to manage. The good stuff (hardening/edge retention and the like) is seldom presented, tho...but that's me...

Seved - You come across a bit grumpy even if you are sticking out for a buddy and your product (which I think is basicall a good thing).

My unsolicited 2 cents...
Greger

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Just wait till I have got my vorpal blade and fixed me a fair hilt for it, you shall see me a clearing of the car park like Grendel had no grudge.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I watched. Really sloppy marketing with an actor who is no bush crafter at all.
Fairly stupid but for marketing, we all need to be bright enough to comprehend that you have to start somewhere.
Make him a BC first, then some sort of a woodsman second.
I'm sure that they can polish this thing.

Depends on where you come from. We have 36" bars on our power saws (see my avatar).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE