A sunday in spring...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
... on february the 18th. :D
I went for a leasurelywalk with a couple of colleagues and the dog.
1h on the feet, 2h in front of the fire in the sun and another 1h back home.

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00322.jpg

DSC00318.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

DSC00378.jpg

Ravioli, Steak, Baquette, garlic butter, turkish coffee, chocolate. We ate more than we burnt :eek: .

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Woah, seems like you had a good time and a good snack :)

You have amazing weather for a feb. 18th ! We are barely starting to have temperatures around 0 celcius... and 1 foot of snow is set to fall on next friday :yuck:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Last picture, that black smock, is that the swedish smock that has full length buttons that I was told couldn't be dyed? 'Cos now I want to get one as they look awesome dyed another colour. I tried one on and it was really big but comfy!!

Who else is cringing at the 'tin opener'? :D

Looks like you had a good time, I find dogs spoil the trip for me a bit, I never could get on with picking up dog poo!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
spamel said:
Last picture, that black smock, is that the swedish smock that has full length buttons that I was told couldn't be dyed? 'Cos now I want to get one as they look awesome dyed another colour. I tried one on and it was really big but comfy!!

Who else is cringing at the 'tin opener'? :D Looks like you had a good time, I find dogs spoil the trip for me a bit, I never could get on with picking up dog poo!

Me :eek:

(If this appears twice,it's cos the server is playing silly buggers again)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Me 3,

Thats ...just...plain...wrong!

Oetzi, PM me your addy, and I'll post you a British Army "baby can opener" from the old compo rations.

Weighs about 5g and worth 1% of what it will cost me to post - but if you promise me never to do that to an axe again....its worth it :D

Red

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Me 4 >.<

I don't get on with my dogs and bushcrafting either, I have to say, not because of the dog poo, after all if you can deal with your own a dogs is simple enough, but it's probably because they are terriers and therefore share two traits in common - they chase anything that moves (squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, deer, tractors etc) and they don't do what they are told worth a damn (you'll see few terriers in the dog obedience classes). I'm always surprised just how fast a pheasant can run as it happens.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Me 5
I'm willing to be British Red came over all faint and had to sit down when he saw it :lmao: .
Looks like a nice walk though :) .

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Red, some us do use our axes for silly things like opening tins but it's only because we have not yet felt the force like you have.

Obe wan Red, please show us a tutorial on caring axe use....please, or do a group but on those military tin openers...lol, my poor we fiskars axe canny take much more captian.. :rolleyes: :eek:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yeah, I think my next thread may well be axe sharpening.....I've been asked a few times so why not? I've got some time coming up in a few weeks so keep your eyes open!

Sadly the old tinned compo rations with free tin openers are no longer issued (any forces person had dozens.....along with dozens of tins of posessed cheese :D). I'm fairly sure though you can get em in camping stores on a card with two on. Stick one on your keyring and you are sorted - they are a great bit of kit!

Red

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
spamel said:

Who else is cringing at the 'tin opener'? :D

Looks like you had a good time, I find dogs spoil the trip for me a bit, I never could get on with picking up dog poo!

Yes, its a swedish army winter smock.
http://www.raeer.com/cgi-bin/katalog/9b8d119e559ab2e6
I paid € 12,- for it and spend € 8,- on the dye! made waterresistant with greenland wax its my favourite garment for everything exept very heavy rain.

Red, myself I always use a SAK!
I really cringed when I saw the pic with the axe, not having noticed the way the did open the cans. i would have shown them my fresh scar.There is no reason not to open a tin with an axe, but not this way!

Picking up dog **** in the woods? Not in a month of sundays! :)
Sam the obedient and cuddly monster liked being out with a lot of people. He was the center of this trip!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
oetzi said:
In the woods here, this kind of birch is more a nuisance than anything of value.
It's not so much that I deem birch valuable, it's just they put alot of time and effort into building something that's going to be rotten and unsafe in a few years.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Its supposed to be "art", part of a lot of installations in a local forest.
The makersy probably didnt know about the different kinds of wood or didnt have the money to buy good stuff or the local forest authorities would have gone ape**** if they had taken good and expensive fagus sylvatica for the job.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE