A suitable material for leather patterns?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I seem to remember a thread about this fairly recently (last 6 months or so) but can't find it.

Any suggestions for a suitable material to use for patterns that I can trace around onto leather? I currently use cardboard from cereal packets, which does work fine, but the patterns do wear after a while.

I’m after something that is fairly robust, i.e. it won’t wear too quickly, but needs to be fairly easily cuttable, including curves and I’d like something fairly quick and easy to cut (e.g. a cardboard pattern only takes me a few minutes to make, but a wooden one would probably take a few hours).

I’ve racked my brain but can’t think of anything other than something like a thick version of OHP acetates.

Thanks

Geoff

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
the rectangular 5 litre bottles make excellent patterns. They can be cut with scissors or sharp knife.

Smaller bottles like milk bottles are also a good source for smaller patterns :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Perspex from Ebay. I use 3mm thick stuff as i make my knife templates from it too. I used to make them from wood, but i find the perspex more durable. You can get it at different thicknesses, 1mm should do nicely for leather templates

I used cardboard for a couple of years. Nothing wrong with it. :)

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi Geoff

How big is the pattern?
I've been using cut up 4l milk bottles recently, they have a relatively flat area that is very good, and they last a reasonable time.

Hope that helps.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The pound stores sell a four pack of different coloured, thin, plastic cutting boards. One for bread, fruit, meat, fish. The ones I got for templates and resists (feltmaking) were around 40 x 25 cms.
I've used them for patchwork papers templates too and they seem to last fine :)
I just cut them to size using the kitchen scissors.

cheers,
Toddy

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
Hi, I use heavy photo paper from Lidl its cheep and hard wearing, one box will last a very long time, and you can put all your info on it with a pen.

Alan.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
For years I have used the white reverse side of scrap ends of vinyl floor covering to make patterns - and they have lasted for years too despite being used regularly. You can cut the stuff with scissors or a craft knife and you can punch holes for making marks etc. You can also write instructions or reminders on it with a normal pen. Brilliant stuff, and scrap ends from the flooring shops are cheap or even free sometimes.

Eric

Funny that - I was just wondering if their was a market for laser cut steel leather pattern templates.
1.6mm 420 stainless ;) I use it for scale templates so i can pre drill everything and pre shape before fitting matches the laser cut tangs :D

I do ahve a couple of laser cut perspex patterns even have the stich holes in so the several layers line up
only worth it if you want to make a lot of the exact same pattern

some i think use liner material if you cna get it tht big

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
I just use cardboard or acrylic. Going off an earlier post, if anybody wants any sort of acrylic or plastic or mdf or card or anything cut precisely, I have access to a laser cutter and could make templates for a small cost.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Depends what you have to cut it but what about old style metal oil cans, degreaser cans, panel wipe cans.

IIRC its about ten thousandths of an inch thick so reasonably easy to cut with snips and thin enough to pack quite a few into a drawer.

If you use panel wipe ones you can use the panel wipe in your coleman fuel stove and maybe of you get bored with making patterns you can make pop pop steam boat toys instead.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
The pound stores sell a four pack of different coloured, thin, plastic cutting boards. One for bread, fruit, meat, fish. The ones I got for templates and resists (feltmaking) were around 40 x 25 cms.
I've used them for patchwork papers templates too and they seem to last fine :)
I just cut them to size using the kitchen scissors.

cheers,
Toddy
thats what i use mary, picked up loads of these, and have worked great for me.

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
A lot of modern solutions here but for something natural try a sheet of bark! It can be easily cut to a precise template and should be quite durable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can find flat birch bark in these sizes locally, then you're a very lucky man :)

In the past folks used wooden formers and templates, often made from something fine grained, like sycamore, or beech or some of the fruit woods.

cheers,
Toddy

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Well it doesn't have to be birch bark, many trees provide good bark such as cherry, ash, wych elm, sweet chestnut, lime, willow, rowan etc. You will have to wait until the spring until you harvest though as it's very laborious and often just impractical to try to debark trees in the winter time! Or go with Toddy's suggestion of wooden templates, easily carved from a soft wood :)

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
for a long time I have made patterns out of cereal cardboard and then given them a layer of duck tape - have some knocking around here from the mid nineties that are still perfectly usable - cheap option and no lasers needed - though I must say, if I could laser cut patterns I certainly would - oh yes... I would :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
wildranger, getting bark that size that will take constant, repeated sharp edged use, isn't quite as straight forward as it might appear. It's amazingly like cardboard that way; it takes so much but the edges go fuzzy and lose definition. I agree they're all useful barks and resources, but for something like this, if there's a need to keep the pattern true, it's not ideal.

I'm a Scot, and though I claim not to be superstitious, I'll not be cutting down a Rowan for it's bark either :eek: :)

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I found a whole load of vinyl flooring offcuts in a skip some months back. they do a great job.

Im sure your local flooring company will be happy to oblige

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
wildranger, getting bark that size that will take constant, repeated sharp edged use, isn't quite as straight forward as it might appear. It's amazingly like cardboard that way; it takes so much but the edges go fuzzy and lose definition. I agree they're all useful barks and resources, but for something like this, if there's a need to keep the pattern true, it's not ideal.

I'm a Scot, and though I claim not to be superstitious, I'll not be cutting down a Rowan for it's bark either :eek: :)

cheers,
Toddy

Ah cool, thanks! :) Rowan has very thick inner bark, might myself a quiver from it when it starts to peel this coming spring!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE