a spot of foraging on the coast.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Yesterday I had some business to attend to in the lovely Dorset village of Kimmeridge In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kimmeridge like this: "a village, a parish, and a vale in Wareham district, Dorset. The village stands ½ a mile NE of Kimmeridge bay, 3 ½ SW by W of CorfeCastle, and 5½ SW by W of Wareham r. station; and has a post office under Wareham. The parish comprises 1, 570 acres. Total Real property, £1,263.(value of whole parish!) Pop., 185. Houses, 34. The property belonged to Cerne abbey; was given, by Henry VIII., to the Uvedales; passed to the Clavells; and belongs now to J.Mansel, Esq. Kimmeridge bay is a semicircular inlet, about ¾ of a mile wide; has a shore of sea weed and bituminous mud, girdled by black cliffs; and is overlooked by the amphitheatre of Kimmeridge vale. ..."
Our business took us to Smedmore house,which was founded in 1300's much of what is visible now is considerably newer:
DSC03728.jpg

apart from being a charming place the estate is covered in pheasants for the shoot, now i have seen a lot of pheasants in my time but the quality of these birds is amazing very vivid coulours:
DSC03729.jpg

DSC03726-1.jpg

One we had finished at the big house we made our way down to the seafront,the view from the top of the jill dropping into the village of Kimmeridge is really nice:
DSC03731.jpg

as is the bay itself:
DSC03736.jpg

DSC03737.jpg

It is also slap bang in the middle of the army live firing range ,and they were shooting all around us,plenty of big bangs and .50 cal machine gun fire!
DSC03724-1.jpg

DSC03725-1.jpg

we parked in the carpark and made our way on foot the rest of the way,passing the WW2 tank traps and machine gun bunkers:
DSC03734.jpg

DSC03766.jpg

once on the front our boys set about a bit of foraging for shelfish:
DSC03743.jpg

which we cooked on the kelly kettle base after a brew was made:
DSC03747.jpg

jack wasnt too keen on them:
DSC03748.jpg

we found a lot of other foragable stuff including masses of sea kale:
DSC03738.jpg

here is a pic of our youngest Charlie having a warm brew from his kuksa i made:
DSC03751.jpg

I took some time to take some arty shots of the fishing associated things about the place:
1.jpg

DSC03741.jpg

DSC03758.jpg

DSC03755.jpg

DSC03764.jpg

we found an old german ww2 contact mine on display by the range wardens shack:
DSC03762.jpg

All in all a fine day out was had,it was good to get back into a warm car that was for sure!
thanks for looking.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I always make those things stick to a rock, never tried your way before. I think they are chewy though I never prefer them over a good juicy mussel or oyster!
I've been told they're safer to eat though.
Oh and those pheasants look more like peacocks.
Thanks for sharing:cool:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Oi! Stop looting my larder!!! Lol ;) good to see you had a good day mate.

You can tell young Jack that I'm not too keen on limpets either!

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
excellent :) - have they sussed the heat till it 'wilts' then cool then heat briefly before pulling apart trick?

looking forward to seeing your Christmas decorations too ;)

The bay is lovely isn't it. You picked a good day for the ranges too didn't you, hope the boys had a good day.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Kimmeridge... brings back memories :) last time I was there (about 20 yrs ago!) I ended up getting caught in a storm after looking for fossils and going home in my grandads car wrapped up in a blanket cos all my clothes were soaked :)

Rachael x

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
talking of pheasant i hah a lovely pheasant curry last night very spicy it was to regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE