A spoon to remember a tree.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I think everybody has one: A favourite tree. Or, in my case, a list of favourite trees. Quite high up on my list is a massive red beech that grows in Clingendael, a park near my home. I have always loved this park for its old and iconic trees, and this beech is one of the prettiest and largest of all. Two weeks ago I took a picture of this magnificent 200 year old tree, because I was afraid that the fungi that infest the tree would get the upperhand sooner rather than later.

Before.JPG

Unfortunately enough we were right about the trees decreasing health, and yesterday we found out that wind has snapped off the largest sidebranche of the tree. Other branches have been supported with slings to protect the tree from losing more branches, but I am afraid that this is the beginning of the end of this beautiful old thing. I was happy to see that some bits of wood from the fallen branche were still lying around. I collected a few pieces so that I could carve some spoons from it, and give the wood a second life. Today I made this eating spoon from the wood, and I took it back to take some photos of the spoon with the tree.
DSCF1284.JPG

Out of the wood I have collected I hope to carve a few more eaters and perhaps a cooking spoon or two. It is a strange feeling, realizing that I might outlive something that I have known my whole life, and that generations have known their whole life before me. The spoons I will carve from this tree will therefore not leave my collection but will be a reminder of this tree if it ever decides to die before I do.
DSCF1307_2.jpg

Thanks for reading! (The pics are getting a tad large here. There are a few more on my blog)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
When people ask why you would want to carve a spoon, this 'remembering a tree ' is a wonderful reason. Lovely tree, lovely spoon. Great story.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
That's a realy nice spoon. And a wonderful stroy behind it. It's nice to think that even after its very long life it can continue on as something other than fire/rotting wood/chips.

Thanks for sharing

Ste

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thank you guys. I hope your favourite trees won`t die anytime soon, but if they do: carve something from them!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Lovely spoon and a nice story to go with it.

I did exactly the same thing as you to remember a beech tree that was blown down in a gale. It was a special tree to many people for many years as there were names carved into the trunk from 100 years ago but the tree was much older than that.

Nice work :)

Last edited:

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks guys.

Stringmaker, I would like to see a pic of that spoon. And perhaps one of the tree before it was blown down as well?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What a magnificent tree and a lovely spoon to remember it. Every time you eat your scoff it'll bring back memories. Great post and idea behind it, thanks for putting that up.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Good :)

Yes you are right, it is exactly the same sentiment in our work. I wanted to mark the passing of the tree, you want to mark it before it passes.

I haven't been back to that spot since we took the photos; I would hope that the trunk will be left (it is off the main path and presents no risk) so that interested people can still find it and think of the people who knew and loved it.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Beautiful spoon like the story behind it to. I did a couple spoons for a friend she had bought the tree for her mom who since passed and a couple branches fell so I carved her a couple spoons from it.

That is such a lovely tree to she she won't make it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE