a spoon in mesquite

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Just worked out this spoon after getting inspired by Simon Hill's work. It's out of mesquite wood.

1-P1240880.JPG

1-P1240881.JPG

1-P1240884.JPG

1-P1240885.JPG

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That is beautiful. I think that the neck is too thin for practical use.
OTOH, I love the tool marks on the bowl = obviously hand crafted and done very carefully at that.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I saw the title I thought that Steve had been assaulted...
But I now see that you are referring to a very nice spoon made from a very attractive wood :)
Somehow though I feel disappointed in some way....

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Very nicely done.

What was the wood like to carve?

That is a nice spoon from a radial cut piece I really like the neatness of it, a little thin on the neck but once it dries out it should be strong enough, have you tried it out am only asking as the bottom picture makes the side walls of the bowl steep.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks for the comments mates!

Prior to this I had carved a few simple spoons from pine, but when I very recently discovered the work of Barn, Jon Mac, Simon Hill, Robin Wood and his daughter, my eyes were opened wide. You Brits have some real masters! And that Spoonfest event....that would be something to attend.

I will post some of the other spoons I've been making, all from the same piece of mesquite log. The large tree of a neighbor blew over in a storm. She gave me some of the wood, and I've been using it. It's quite dense and strong and very hard to carve. I am carving it dry, which doesn't help. The best thing is I'm doing all the carving with tools I made myself.

These were the first two after seeing the work of Jon Mac. Same piece of wood as the above spoon.

1-P1240587.JPG

1-P1240589.JPG

1-P1240582.JPG

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
When I saw the title I thought that Steve had been assaulted...
But I now see that you are referring to a very nice spoon made from a very attractive wood :)
Somehow though I feel disappointed in some way....

My thoughts exactly. I was even hesitant to click on the link especially without any mindbleach to hand. Happy to say there was no evidence of an assault, just some really nice carving. Well done sir, I really like that shape.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Beautiful work there. I've carved a bit of mesquite before doubtful you have anything to worry about strength wise the stuff is mad hard. Has to be hands down one of the hardest woods I've used easily beats out oak. Those have some gorgeous colors nicely done

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Beautiful work there. I've carved a bit of mesquite before doubtful you have anything to worry about strength wise the stuff is mad hard. Has to be hands down one of the hardest woods I've used easily beats out oak. Those have some gorgeous colors nicely done

Ever tried carving Purpleheart? That's equal to trying to carving granite using a plastic spoon. I never knew a wood that could be so dense. Makes for seriously hard-wearing material too.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ever tried carving Purpleheart? That's equal to trying to carving granite using a plastic spoon. I never knew a wood that could be so dense. Makes for seriously hard-wearing material too.

I've tried that. Got a block of purpleheart and tried to carve a heart from it (romatic gesture to the wife). Snapped two junior hacksaw blades cutting out the shape. Then carving it defeated all of my knives, so I ended up halding it against a coarse grinding wheel to shape it, and then sanding the burnt areas off.

Honestly, if you drop a block of purpleheart on a flagstone, you are more likely to break the flagstone than dent the wood.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Another one in mesquite. I will say that my hand and arm are sore from carving this wood, but it's all I have to work with at the moment.

1-P1240871.JPG

1-P1240872.JPG

1-P1240873.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE