A Spatula and a Spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Hi All,
Here is my first attempt at carving - don't laugh :) - which I did a few weeks ago. The wood came from an old and badly cracked bread-board and I'm not sure what sort of wood it is. I hacked out the rough shapes with a hatchet and finished it off with my Mora. If I'm honest, it took longer than I expected and my hands were tired afterwards, but it was very satisfying. I don't have one of those curved carving knives (I tried to make one - put simply, my home-made curved 'knife' didn't work and looked terrible!) so the spoon is not quite as smooth or as deep as I'd like. We have about 6 shop-bought wooden spoons bought over the years but the fact that these two are now constantly being used makes me think they are not too bad. The spatula is good for our Saturday morning scrambled eggs brekkie.

Carving027_zps145d27b1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

leon-1

Nice Job, especially on a first attempt and without a crooked knife on the spoon.

I must admit that until earlier this year I had never bothered actually carving a spatula, I just split a piece of wood till it was thin enoug for me to use.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The reason they were hard work was that the breadboard was well seasoned, dry and hard. The grain looks more like maple than commonly used beech, that makes the task a lot harder.
quote Macaroon "Those are superb for a first attempt, especially without a crook knife :)" ....... and then some :bigok::bigok:

Rob.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Thanks one and all, for the nice comments. I'm pleased with the results for my first attempt and they get used every day in the kitchen at home so worth the effort. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE