A sharp blade from a cutthroat razor?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I did one years ago when I was roughly 10 years old, a sheep's foot style lends itself well to that kind of blade, but the top spine area would need thinning out, like the tommi blades, and bring the cutting edge up to thicker steel, as the chips on these can be huge, and you need a bit more thickness behind the edge.

If I was not so pushed for time myself, I would do it, but I have a house build that has been waiting 12 years, and my own blade projects, most of which are 5 years in the making....

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thats ok.

I only paid £1 for it, I was principally interested in the bone scales, for my needle making efforts.

But the blade might be useful too.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Thats ok.

I only paid £1 for it, I was principally interested in the bone scales, for my needle making efforts.

But the blade might be useful too.
I can shape and grind the blade for you, and leave you to put a handle on?

If your interested, in that it honestly will not take long. Send me a pm and we can arrange to get that bit done at least......if time is available, I might be able to place a Hazel handle on too?

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, that would be ideal.

What do you want in return? I have plenty of beeswax and chamois leather at the moment.

PM me your addy.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Well I thought I would share the modified razor, in case others would like to have a go.

Sheep's foot shaped using a slitting 1mm disc, and cooled with water not to destroy the original heat treat, then final shape using a belt sander.

Edge was raised to slightly thicker blade stock, re-ground, and 20 degree either side mirco bevel for strength.

The handle is seasoned hazel, bark left on for rustic look. Just to note, when doing simple handles like this, choose the comfortable section of the stick (in both left and right hands), before cutting and fitting blades.

The curve of the handle matches the blade, this is meant to be blade forward, as requested for leather work.

IMG_20220606_113233.jpgIMG_20220607_164640.jpg
IMG_20220607_164647.jpg

It is not the prettiest knife I made, rustic was the request and feels good in the hand. Nice small project :)

Cheers @Tengu

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE