A quick walk with the dog (very photo heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Being new to bushcraft and having just got the collins gem mushroom book I decided i'd take the dog for a quick walk and see what i could find while SWMBO made the tea

this is my little princess

adscams177.jpg

when out before i had spotted what i believe to be birch polypore heres a few pics of it (sorry if i bore you)

adscams204.jpg

there were quite a few of these on a dead standing birch and the rest of the birch that was on the floor

adscams207.jpg

adscams208.jpg

There are quite a few of these polypore and i was reading somewhere that the fruit section doesnt last i only need one at the moment to top up by dragon breath set (cheers for that john) but if they will just rot away should i get a few now for drying or come back as and when i need them?

at the bottom of the same birch i found these
adscams210.jpg

adscams211.jpg

following on down through the woods i got to a boggy area with mixed trees and found these
adscams216.jpg

As it was a beautiful evening and i was enjoying myself decided to carry on a bit longer with the dog running merrily through the woods. I thought when driving id seen some horse hoof fungus on an oak stump not too far so i headed off to see if i could find it and heres what i found
adscams222.jpg

These were about 9-10ft up and as i was pondering how to get to them when the dog pulled on its lead and showed me these on the other side im assuming they are horsehoof fungus needed a saw to remove some.
adscams225.jpg

adscams226.jpg

as i said assuming these are horsehoof but found these little cuties on a log nearby not looked them up yet
adscams220.jpg

So all in all i had a beautiful walk in the woods found some useful fungi and got soaking wet, topping it all off were the stag and doe i saw near the oak stump (thankfully i had the dog on the lead) and they ran off as i came blundering through the bracken.

Unfortunately i normally only take the dog out for 20mins so when i returned 1 1/2hrs later just as it got dark i found the house empty and my tea cold. SWMBO had gone to the woods out the back rather than out the front to see where i'd got to :-s when im allowed out again i aim to try and see if i can find some deer tracks where i saw them and have a go at tracking ;o)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Nice pictures.

The woods can get folk into trouble can't they. Time stops having meaning when there's all that interest around you.

Hope that you didn't get too much of an ear bending.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE