A quick question regarding Longbow Making and The Traditional Bowyers Bible.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 13, 2011
Yorkshire
Hi everyone,

As stated in the title of this thread I have a question that I hope I can get some help on relating to Longbow making and the series of books called 'The Traditional Bowyers Bible'...

Which of the 4 Volumes of The Traditional Bowyers Bible contains information about the Longbow and how to make one?
I plan on buying all 4 volumes eventually when I get some more money together; but for now I just want to buy the most relevant book to making a Longbow as that is all I can afford at the moment..

Thanks for reading and I really appreciate any help on the subject.

All the best.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Will double check later but the first is great for beginners. Longbow, shortbow, recurve the principal is all the same and mostly comes down to proper distribution of mass and stress.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Vol 1 includes the chapter "Yew Longbow" by John Strunk, who is a bit of a bowyer god in the US. The other volumes expand knowledge and detailed / advanced designs etc. You should also consider the paperback book "The Traditional Archer's Handbook - a practical guide" by Hilary Greenland, ISBN 0 9524627 6 1. In fact I would suggest both to begin with as they are great books.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
If your just interested in making Longbows I would get Pip Bickerstaffes book.....The Heritage Of The Longbow. If it's bow making theory in general then the first two Bibles are great along with Paul Comstock's...... The bent Stick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE